Simple HOWTO?

Topics: General Topics, WinForms Controls
Jul 9, 2007 at 7:47 PM
I may have missed it while looking but I cannot seem to find the simplest of instructions for incorporating SharpMap into a desktop windows for project. A pointer to some basic instructions on how to take a blank forms project and add a mapImage(?) control would be appreciated.
Jul 10, 2007 at 2:41 PM
Is this project active? The 0.9 release is almost a year old. Any idea when the 1.0 release will happen?
Jul 11, 2007 at 4:42 AM
May be everyone was ignoring because a good example is out there clearly in the Releases Section.

This is the link for Releases Section:
http://www.codeplex.com/SharpMap/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=154
Jul 11, 2007 at 1:00 PM
Thanks for the pointer Venu. I was hoping that there was more tutorial or instructional material. Perhaps there is a newer version of the winformsdemo that has comments in the code?
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2007 at 11:46 AM

wwoelbel wrote:
Perhaps there is a newer version of the winformsdemo that has comments in the code?

Recommendation noted. Thanks for the nudge...
Aug 1, 2007 at 1:10 PM
I know that my post sounded whiney and crabby - Sorry 'bout that. On a side note, I have been tasked to give a presentation on the integration of SharpMap and our traffic simulation software. Once I get that done, I'll post the PowerPoint and notes. The presentation is targeted at an audience that has no exposure to SharpMap and little to no GIS knowledge.

After getting over the initial learning curve hump, SharpMap has turned out to be pretty easy to use (in the capacity that I am using it), reliable, and quick.

On a completely unrelated note - We use visual source safe here for source control. I added Sharpmap and sharpmap UI as dependent projects and then set a "project" reference from my main project. Sadly, VSS appears to be terrorizing my form. I have not nailed down the failure pattern yet but the visual designer goes corrupt about once every couple of days requiring me to edit the designer by hand and removing all occurances of the sharpmap component before adding it back in. Taking the solution out of VSS stopped this from happening.
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2007 at 5:11 PM
Actually, I thought your recommendation was a good one... the DemoWinForm project could benefit from some commenting. At the very least, I could rest assured that I'm not leaving people who are earnestly trying to get it running out in the cold.

I'm interested in your presentation. The more understanding we get of how SharpMap is being used, the better the decisions on it's design can be.

Any way you could move to Subversion? You will never regret it, and wonder how on earth you ever made do with VSS.
Aug 2, 2007 at 4:34 PM
Am I missing something? The DemoWinForm zip did not have any source code in it. Or are you referring to the WinFormDemo_WMSClient project?
Aug 2, 2007 at 7:32 PM
Hi Caver;

Indeed, the source is not there (that I could find). I got the source by clicking on the "Source Code" tab (of this web site) and then grabbing the most recent change-set. While I am not really sure if this is the way your supposed to use a change set, the source code seems to work when I open the solution file in the Trunk subdirectory. It compiles and runs. There are also versions located in the two branch sub-folders but I have not tinkered with them as I am using the 0.9 release (source) that is available on the releases tab of the website.

Hope that helps

Bill