SharpMap on Mono

Sep 6, 2006 at 10:31 AM
Hi there,
Here you have a link for those interested on testing a SharpMap desktop minimal application compiled with Mono able to run on Linux and Windows:

http://www.sigua.ua.es/utilidades/sharpmap_mono/testwin.zip

Please, once you uncompress the zip file have a look at readme.txt.

Cheers,
LabSIG
University of Alicante (Spain)
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2006 at 11:59 AM
Hi,

Your screenshot of redGIS.NET looks cool.
What licence has it? It is possible to
publish this program?

Could you describe your app a little bit.
My spain isn't that good. :-)

BR
/Christian
Sep 6, 2006 at 1:38 PM
Hi Christian,
We are still considering how redGIS will be licensed, but it will be open source in any case.
We are planning to release a beta version in the next future (6 months or so) mainly because it has become a project with official support of the University of Alicante.
Anyway, redGIS is not a simple desktop GIS viewer. Its goal is to evolve as client able to connect to a public net of affiliated PostgreSQL/PostGIS servers (called redGIS.NET) whose data are normalized according to a standard metadata specification (i.e. Dublin Core or alike). In this sense, redGIS is a platform providing data and services rather than an isolated application. The role of SharpMap is central to the platform, since will be in charge of rendering desktop client map requests (and perhaps in the future will work as a web service for http requests). On the other hand, the core functionality (geometry and topology operations) will reside on each PostgreSQL server as PostGIS functions. For instance, when a client requests for an postal address, the PostGIS server holding the street data will execute the geocoding function, while SharpMap will render the recovered location point.
We'll get in touch as soon as redGIS.NET web site is up and running.
Finally, thanks to the work of Morten Nielsen, Diego Guidi and those of you involved in developing SharpMap, the LabSIG team has begun at least 2 other projects using this excellent GIS technology:
- SIGUA, the University of Alicante Spatial Infraestructure Management System (www.sigua.ua.es) and one of the first systems devoted to university asset management in Europe, started in 1997.
- Solicitors Council of Valencia Cadastrial Application, focused on topology calculations for parcel management using SharpMap and NTS.

Cheers,
LabSIG
University of Alicante
Developer
Sep 6, 2006 at 11:37 PM
redGIS looks really cool! I'm looking forward to seeing your release when you get to it.

Btw, I visited University of Alicante a couple of years back, and stayed there for a few days. Alicante is a really nice city - I've been there several times.
Sep 7, 2006 at 8:16 AM
Hi SharpGis,
As we stated one year ago, you're more than welcome to come back to Alicante and, if you wish, to participate on the Open Source Geodatabase Courses that we organize each year.

We are here (according to our PostGIS server:-)

http://www.sigua.ua.es/es/estancias/resultadoest.php?varCodigo=0037P1015

Best Regards,

LabSIG
University of Alicante