Absolute beginner - VB.Net desktop app.

Topics: SharpMap v2.0, WinForms Controls
Sep 1, 2007 at 6:51 AM
I am having trouble getting started with SharpMap & am wondering whether there are any more samples?

I would like to make a stand-alone desktop application using Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition. The application will have a SharpMap control displaying map layers with some vehicles displayed on top - basically a vehicle tracking application.

First question - is it actually possible? It appears from the screen shots that it should be possible.

If so, how do I get started?

I downloaded the binaries (binary09) & the vb demo (demo09vb). The VB demo doesn't look like anything I have seen before (no *.sln file or no *.vbproj file) and when I open VB2005 & use Open Project & look in the demo09_vb folder with it doesn't show me any project files that I can open.

So, I thought I would try my own, by starting a new Project. I loaded in AjaxMapControl & MapImage to the toolbar with the Choose Items menu option. This puts AjaxMapControl & MapImage in the toolbar (though AjaxMapControl is greyed out & cannot be dragged to a form - not sure if that is normal or not). Anyway, I drag the MapImage to a new form & get 4 errors, the first of which is:
Type 'SharpMap.Map' is not defined.
Type 'SharpMap.Layers.ILayer' is not defined.
Type 'SharpMap.Geometries.Point' is not defined.
Reference required to assembly 'SharpMap, Version=0.9.2423.31552, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' containing the type 'SharpMap.Map'. Add one to your project.

Possibly I am supposed to add a Reference, but I cannot see an appropriate one in the NET or COM section of Project/Add Reference.

Can anyone spot what I am doing wrong in my initial setup?

Oh, one more possible cause of or clue to the problem. When I run either of the 2 EXE files in the demos I do not see any maps either. This seems to indicate a setup problem to me. I have left a screen dump to show what I am talking about:
http://www.jodael.com/images/sharpmap.jpg

Thanks,

Dave
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2007 at 7:22 PM
Hi Dave,

There are a couple more VB samples in the Patches area which might be more clear for you.

In order to use the demo above, it like you'll need to add the SharpMap assembly as a reference to the project. Use the "Browse" tab to find the SharpMap.dll assembly.