Poll: SharpMap v2.0 release - a CTP now or Beta 1 later?

Topics: SharpMap v2.0
Coordinator
Sep 24, 2007 at 11:34 PM
Greetings -

I'm really trying to get v2.0 into everyone's hands as a usable release this week. However, I decided to make some last minute design changes to support some future directions (notably Compact Framework and multiple map views), and I didn't want people relying on an implementation which would change with the next Beta release. What this means is that a significant number of unit tests now need to be written or rewritten and the defects invariably introduced worked out.

So, I could get everything building and running a demo app knowing that the quality is less than a Beta 1 release should be now, or just work on bringing up the quality of the release and call it Beta 1. Note that doing a CTP will push the Beta 1 quality release out a good number of weeks.

Which should it be?
Sep 25, 2007 at 1:03 AM
Does a decision in either direction affect having labels? You had earlier indicated that it would not be in Beta 1, and that is a show stopper for us. Is there something that we could do to help with labels? In general, I guess I would prefer an early beta, with a narrative of what you think might change. My guess is that even if you delay the release to make changes now, you will still have some changes when you really get into the implementation. I strongly support the Compact Framework effort, but I think that may require more consideration of breaking out assemblies, etc, than what has been given at this point.
Coordinator
Sep 25, 2007 at 3:42 AM
Perhaps it will - if the response is strong to release a CTP, perhaps the audience will be more inclined to accept fuller features over lower defects. Of course, over the long-run, we want both.
Coordinator
Sep 25, 2007 at 11:25 AM
Descisions descisions.. Personally I want to have my cake and eat it - but I don't want to slow down the beta too much. A CTP gives me something to play with - a beta something to work with...

Are you saying that the API is still changing or the API is stable but the implementation may need fixing?
If the API is stable then we may be able to help with the fixing.. JD
Developer
Sep 25, 2007 at 1:08 PM

I would go for a small delay and a Beta1, as the source is available to download in its present state and devs can crack on with the bits they need, the unit testing can the be carried out, and the beta can then go out on a months time. People should not be relying on the Beta 1 for any milestones as its already being stated that interface changes will be made between beta 1 and beta2, and a date for the beta has not being given other than in the the near future.
Sep 25, 2007 at 3:44 PM

I personally would like to start "playing" with V2 Beta1 as soon as possible.

The Compact Framework and multiple map views not being of particular interest to me, I wonder
if it would not be possible to postpone those design changes until Beta 2, and get a Beta 1
sooner rather than later.

I know I am only thinking of myself here.. but I suppose that is the point of a Poll.