Coordinate system interfaces.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:46 PM
Again... in the spirit of just getting going on SharpMap, et al... I have a question about Interfaces.

First... Interfaces. I love the fact that there is a set of GeoAPI interfaces that is a separate assembly, and even has a namespace that is concise. Then, we have Diego's Net Topology Suite implement of them. And we've written several optimized geometry objects of our own that implement them. I can do a project that utilizes either his our our implementations by programming and the interfaces with no reference to any other external project.

Is there any thought to splitting the Proj.Net interfaces out into a separate project? Or maybe including them in the GeoAPI interfaces? We are writing wrapper classes around coordinate system components from other sources (because of the defined projections and we already have them licensed), and I guess I just don't like having to reference the SharpMap coordinate system Implementation in order to use what appears to be an Open GIS type of standard projection interfaces. That's not meant to say anything bad at all about the Proj.Net implementation. Just that I don't need to reference that implementation if I'm not using it.

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:25 AM
Good suggestion...

I'd post this over on Proj.Net and encourage them to do the same design as GeoAPI.