How to build 2.0 source and docs?

Topics: SharpMap v2.0
Oct 19, 2007 at 9:36 PM
Edited Oct 19, 2007 at 9:37 PM

1. I'm evaluating SharpMap. Among my needs is to read from an input table, feature table, or shapefile, transform it is some ways, and write it out to new output of the same type.

Wanting to create output means I need SharpMap 2.0, right?

So I got the source code from CodePlex using TortoiseSVN. That gave me a directory with Trunk and Branches subdirectories. Branches has 0.9 and 2.0 subdirectories. So I thought I'd want to open and build the *.sln found in the 2.0 folder. But I get alot of compile errors:

• A reference in the SharpMap project to SharpMap.CoordinateSystems is missing.
    • Most of the references in the SharpMap.Extensions project are missing. Do I need to collect all those assemblies myself (gdal.csharp, gdalconstcsharp, NetTopologySuite, ogrcsharp...)?

Suggestions?

1. The 0.9 release contains a very nice CHM of the API documentation. I miss the same in 2.0. How do you build that? I expected to find some nDoc or SandCastle projects in the source.

1. Using that CHM, I noticed data access objects like Providers, and others like DataSets/Tables/Rows. It was not clear how to get ahold of the DataTable from a Provider. Should I expect to be able to do that? For example, my inclination would be to open a SHP file with the Shapefile Provider, then use some method on it to get the DataTable, then I could do stuff with the DataTable like loop over it, get values from columns (and add rows, edit columns if writing is supported).

Thank for any feedback. Y'all have done great work on this project, I'm looking forward to contributing. I just need a bit of help getting started.

Regards, Mark
Oct 19, 2007 at 10:25 PM
Edited Oct 19, 2007 at 10:26 PM
OK I answered my own first question - To build the V2 source, get it from Google, not CodePlex: http://code.google.com/p/sharpmapv2/source

My second and third questions stand, if anyone cares to respond. Thanks.

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2007 at 8:20 PM
Hi Cheynm -

We don't have compiled docs for v2.0 yet, however, there are a good number of XML doc comments on the code, so generating them might not be too hard. Would you be interested in taking this on?

In v2.0, you can get a FeatureDataTable or an instance of an IFeatureDataReader from various Execute* methods. This parallels the ability to get a DataTable or a DataReader from an ADO.Net DbCommand object via Execute* methods.