Can we get a 30 second status?

Topics: SharpMap v2.0
Oct 31, 2007 at 1:12 AM
Has the dust settled long enough for us to get a 30 second status and projection:

1) Is the problem that prevents rendering in WinForms resolved?

2) Can you work with V2 using VS2005 and .Net 2.0, or do you have to download betas of VS2008 or at least betas of new frameworks. And, if the updated frameworks are required, is it required for core dataset functionality, or just a special provider that we could eliminate?

3) Did the ability to render labels make it into Beta 2? If not, do you have a timeframe for that functionality?

4) Does V2 replace the SharpMap geometry objects with the NTS objects? If not, is there a timeframe for that plan?

I've got a resource available to start looking at writing the dedicated providers and renderers that we are going to need, but I don't want to allocate it until I understand the dependencies on the unreleased framework updates that I've seen discussed, and the transition to NTS for the geometry objects. I'm not going to try to live with both sets of geometry objects in the same application.

Thanks!

Coordinator
Oct 31, 2007 at 7:12 PM
Hi Magnum -

Some hopefully helpful answers:

1) I think so. I'm using it now and it's rendering. Not perfectly, mind you, but a good map shows up. Fast, too.

2) The reliance isn't on VS2008 (I'm building and running in VS2005), but rather on .Net 2.0 SP1. This service pack is going to ship independently of .Net 3.5, but is currently not independent. In order to use it, you need to have .Net 3.5 Beta 2 installed. I know it will be released at the latest February 2008, but I've heard a number of rumors that we could get it by December.

3) It is beginning to take shape now. It will definitely be in Beta 2, and likely in some interim release (though not the upcoming Nov. 4th release). With good fortune, it will be in the release after that.

4) This is planned to be in the Nov. 4th release, which will be available on the Releases tab.
Oct 31, 2007 at 9:33 PM
Thank you. I appreciate the summary. That's great news on NTS and rendering. We'll sit tight and grab the relesae on the 4th.