How SharpMap is helping us

Topics: General Topics
Apr 25, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Dear SharpMap team,

I have been using SharpMap for the past 5 months. I must say, it has enabled us to deliver some high quality monitoring and reporting solutions for grass-roots NGOs operating in various parts of India on Climate Change.

You can visit Fair Climate Network and see the various types of projects being developed and implemented by this group of NGOs.

SharpMap is being specifically used with projects related to Low Carbon Farming and Afforrestation/Reforestation Programmes.

So, how has SharpMap helped? Well, to start with, it has enabled a lot of rural families to formally mark the boundaries of their lands! It's a surprising thing to know that a lot of people in rural India actually do not have documents proving their landholding tenure or unaware of the extent of the land they have been cultivating. So, the tools developed ensure that all formal documents are obtained both as Govt. issued records and GPS readings. Secondly, it has enabled the NGOs to showcase their monitoring capabilities to Carbon Investors (who are primarily businessmen or corporates) through these tools.

So, I would like to thank the entire team for this great toolkit.

P.S: I am currently using v0.9 as of now due to various stability issues in v2.0 currently. However, I would like to see v2.0 become stable. So, please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Regards,
Raghu

Developer
Apr 26, 2010 at 7:19 PM

hi Raghu,

Thank you! Great to hear some positive feedback :)

If you are interested in contributing you could drop by in the irc channel. 

Just curious, did you build a WinForms app, web, or what?

Paul

May 1, 2010 at 7:23 AM

Hi Paul,

It is a WinForms app for now. A web app is not suited at the current phase of the project because the users are almost like cartographers. Initially GPS readings are imported from GPS devices and then the users are allowed to move or make minor adjustments to the vertices visually. So, yes, the whole thing started off as a WinForms app.

However, I am looking forward to build a Web app which will allow users to generate thematic maps. I am waiting for something to come up in Silverlight, because ASP.NET will definitely be a usability nightmare for my target users!

Regards,
Raghu