Project Status

Topics: SharpMap Project
May 10, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Hi all,

I'm Jorge, from an Spanish development company called Prodevelop. We're reviewing SharpMap for a new, quite big, GIS project, so we are doing the typical tasks when someone arrives to an unknown free software project: review SCM activity, web documentation and so on.

I have to confess that I'm quite confused. Sharpmap web pages are really old, many from 2007, some from 2008... but on the other hand commits are frequent. I also read from a similar port one year ago[1] that v2 is being developed on googlecode (I won't ask about this decision) and I can see that this project is active.

Can someone give me a short summary about the project status? The roadmap is from 2007, so I can't assume anything there is reliable, right?

Best regards

[1] http://sharpmap.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=55797

Coordinator
May 10, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Hi Jorge, both 0.9 and 2 versions are still in active development. 0.9 is mainly maintainance. v2 is useful "as is" but not yet functionaly complete.

picking a few bits off the roadmap for v2 (I should update the wiki now but the syntax is too clunky for a quick fix..):

spatial relationships - done - delegates to NTS v2.11 (a port of JTS)

updateable providers - done - could change in the future as we may try to get rid of the reliance on IDataRecord and move to a more ORMable design

updates to rendering - in progress - currently experimenting with additional renderers including cairo and direct2d

indexing - vector only so far

data provider interface - done - GeoAPI interfaces are shared between SharpMap , ProjNet, NTS, there is also work being done on porting Proj4J to .Net and this is likely to be incorporated too

Code coverage is not as high as it could be...

hth jd