This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

VectorLayer issue

Topics: General Topics, SharpMap Project, SharpMap v0.9 / v1.x
Jun 29, 2010 at 12:50 PM

The issue is that if an IProvider gives to VectorLayer features that are derived from Geometry the render method will fail. This happens because in VectorLayer.RenderGeometry, feature.GetType().Name will not be a Geometry class name and Enum.Parse on GeometryType2 will fail.

In my project i have created a class named Infrastructure inheriting LineString. Feature.GetType().Name will return "Infrastructure" which is not a member of GeometryType2. The solution to this is to refer to Feature.GetType().BaseType.Name which will eventually be "LineString". My IProvider adapter class recieves Infrastructure items and type-casts them as (Geometry)infr, and casting in C# does not erase information about the derived type.

A simple solution would be to place the Enum.Parse line in a Try-Catch block, and if an ArgumentNotFound exception is raised, try to Enum.Parse on the base type, but it is rather inefficient.

Any help appreciated,
Andrei Stefan

Jun 29, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Hello andrei,

I'm no fan of Enum.Parse() function calls in time critical situations. I'd prefer to

a) change the switch case block to if (feature is <GeometryType>) ... block

b) add GeometryType2 property to all geometry classes.

Any pro/cons or other suggestions?

cheers

FObermaier