Access DBF File Directly

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Hello,

My application will read several Navteq shape files, filter and combine the geometry and some attributes, and output the data for later use. One of the Navteq files has a header saying it contains Point data, but the body of the file contains empty records. This is causing the Shapefile provider to throw an exception when it tries to create a spatial index; a small change in ShapeFile.cs prevents the exception. I also found the DbaseReader provider in the source, but it is defined as an internal class. Changing the class and a couple of methods/properties to public allowed my app to use the provider to access the file.

My questions are:

Should the ShapeFile provider handle files with no shapes (I believe the spec does not allow for this)?

Why is the DbaseReader an internal class?

Should I keep one of the changes I have made for testing and move on, or should one or both be submitted as issues/requests?

Thanks,

John

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Hello John,

I strongly urge you to submit patchfiles in the source code | patches section. Please, if you do so, don't submit whole source, but patchfiles. In addition to that raise feature requests/issues, so others can vote on it, too.

I think DbaseReader is marked internal, since so no one wanted it public.

cheers FObermaier