World map data in MS Access format

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Hi,

Just trying out SharpMap and first hurdle is locating world map data. Would anyone have any suggestions? Not even sure of the best format to use. For preliminary testing I would like to use a MS Access file (so if anyone could point me in the direction of an already populated example, this would be especially handy) but could potentially look into using postgre at some point in the future.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...will probably be posting a lot more on here though, just to warn you :P

Cheers.

Coordinator
Sep 11, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Hello Fredthefish,

since MS ACCESS does not have any spatial support there is only the OleDbPoint provider you could use. If you want a handy file with your data to pass around, spatialite is your choice. You can find the provider in the SharpMap.Extensions project and the required native libraries from www.gaia-gis.it/spatialite.

The WinFormSamples project has a sample file and a sample class on how to use the provider.

Hth FObermaier

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:48 AM

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I actually ended up finding a shape file which is fairly rough but works fine. I like the look of spatialite though should we need it - thanks!