Mono / GTK sharp

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:39 PM
Hi guys

first, congratulation foryour project, it seems to be very active, avec maps are very nice!

I'm currently developing an application for ecological surveys which have some GIS capacities. I'm looking for librairies like yours to rendering maps, but it seems that SharpMap is not compatible with GTK# (My application is under linux/mono/gtk#).
Do you think adaptation to GTK# can be possible or complicated? (understood while i have to spend many time to do it?)

Thank yu for your work

Jérôme
Developer
Mar 1, 2008 at 11:20 PM
Edited Mar 1, 2008 at 11:26 PM
I think it has been a long time since anybody has tried to compile it under mono. I'd be interested in any attempts.

I never tried gtk#, but if it works in mono doesnt that mean you can built gtk# apps with it? With a gtk# version of mapImage. Or are other system.windows.forrms references causing problems?

Paul.
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2008 at 12:00 AM
SharpMap v0.9 used to compile under Mono/GTK#.

I looked at the problem this past summer, and gave up after getting GTK# up and compiling with SharpDevelop was too much of a hassle for me at that time.

It is probably possible with the v0.9/v1.0 branch. With v2.0 things could also be made to work, especially since there are no more dependencies on System.Drawing and System.Windows.Forms. It would take someone with the knowledge and heart to do it, though.
Mar 7, 2008 at 1:57 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.
If I have well understood, only MapImage have a references to Systeme.Windows.Forms ( to PictureBox), so it should work with a GTK# version of this file. If i have the time, i will try to do that, it can be fine to many people to have Sharpmap workig in Gnome Desktop.

About v2, what is its staus? is it usable and stable enought for a production application ? (understand, that it crash??)
Are all functionnalities available, where i can take a look to the roadmap ?

Jérôme
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2008 at 5:17 PM
@Jérôme -

I think that is correct for v0.9 - only the control is S.W.F specific.

All I have left to do is to get NTS working again before I can post a general announcement about the status of v2.0. Watch for it.