Large file sizes

Topics: General Topics
Nov 13, 2006 at 11:00 AM
Hi,

I'm still to take the plunge into using SharpMap, and there's a few things I need to sort out before I do. One of the questions that springs to mind is support for large file sizes.

Some of the data that I work with comes in ESRI SHP files that are several hundred MB in size (for example, translated OS Master Map data for an entire UK county!), so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using SharpMap for such large files?

If so, is there a sensible upper-limit to the size of file that can be adequately, and quickly rendered using SharpMap?

Cheers,

Dylan
Nov 13, 2006 at 3:30 PM
Consider using MsSqlSpatial for big datasets. Shapefiles isn't very efficient when data gets really large.
It's free! http://www.codeplex.com/MsSqlSpatial
Nov 14, 2006 at 3:27 PM
It looks promising at first glance. Any idea what the performance compares to using regular SHP files?

The only problem I can see at the moment is that it's using SQL Server 2005 (as opposed to 2000, which is what we currently use), but then I do have a copy of 2005 that I could have sent down to the data centre for installation - luckily it's our own server, not shared.
Nov 15, 2006 at 3:52 PM
Just go with the express version. It's free !
Nov 17, 2006 at 2:07 PM
Cost isn't an issue - we already have a copy of 2005, just haven't installed it. I just don't like upgrading things like that on a live server ;) I've been doing some tests with the upgrade process though, and it's likely that I'll actually upgrade to 2005 next week.