zoom to a certain distance - newbie

Nov 13, 2006 at 9:58 PM
I love the software. From a newbie standpoint, simple things like zooming are complex because of the coordinate systems and my lack of understanding on how to set properties on that basis.

I've imported several shape files. I would like to zoom in to say 5 miles. Because the shapefile coordinate system was a state plan base system, I can't tell the map to zoom to five miles, even trying some coordinate conversions.

What is the best way to allow zooming, based on the current center point of the map to simply zoom in to 5 miles?
thank you
Nov 14, 2006 at 2:44 AM
You needn't to do the coord conversion at all. All you need to do is to set the envelop or say xmin, xmax, ymin, ymax of the map based on your shape filess.
Nov 14, 2006 at 1:41 PM
Well, that seems complicated because that would require me to have to deduce what map extents would get me to a zoom distance of my request. The pieces I am not seeing at least because I'm new are to get the coordinate system from the map, units of measure, etc.

Anyway, I'm not seeing any way to get to the zoom level I need. Thank you for the response, but I'm not sure I can figure out how to derive new extents.