OpenGL Rendering

Topics: Algorithms
Dec 8, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Hi, I want to know if there is any intention of using DirectX or OpenGL rendering on SharpMap.

I'm evaluating the performance of SharpMap and I think that I found 2 bottlenecks:

1 - Using DataTables as the container form information in VectorProvider/VectorLayer can be very critical since the Microsoft implementation is very heavy

2 - USing GDI+ is not a good choice since is very slow

I',ve found a library that is a wrapper to OpenGl ( that I think should be a good approach to this.

I'me trying to create a "FastVectorLayer" and "FastVectorRenderer" that will try to optimize the point 2.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Ricardo Pedro

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Hello cofee,

1.) you may want to take a look at the branches/v0.9.5-Deltares branch. I'm not sure if the developers have completly removed System.Data for IFeature or if that is just an additional approach.

2.) Exchaging the rendering engine for v0.9 is not an easy task, since GDI+ is used all over the place :). For v2.0 you can setup a different renderer fairly easy.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I've been doing some code and I can now use a must better performant VectorLayer using OpenTk.

This is far from final code, but I wanted to share with sharp-map this classes.

I have : FastVectorLayer, FastVectorRenderer and OpenGLLayerHelper.

I'me sure that I'm not the best person to program this with the best codding standards that a project like SharpMap needs.

Does anyone wants to continue coding this and finalize? There is a lot work to do regarding the styles and "On-the-fly" transformation...

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Hello cofee

you can always

Thanks FObermaier

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Hello cofee,

I would be very interested in taking a look at this? Is there somewhere I can get the source code from?