SharpMap 2.0 or 0.9

Topics: SharpMap Project
Dec 22, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Hi.

In my company we are going to start a new project with SharpMap but we don't know wich version of SharpMap is more stable. We have compiled and tested both the v0.9 and v2.0 and  our impression has been:

- The SVN structure for the v2.0 has a better organization.
- v2.0 has some features more advanced (symbology, projections...)

But the WinForms application for v2.0 crashes frequently and we can see that is not a problem of the GUI client: looks a problem of the library. Is the v2.0 library ready to be used in a production environment? 

v0.9 has all the functionality that we need for our project and the API between  v0.9 and v2.0 looks similar (we are thinking in a future migration). What do you recommend me?

Regards,
Jorge

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Hello Jorge,

what kind of problems do you experience with SharpMap v2.0 and the WinForms sample project.

In general, I have a Traffic Demand Simulation application running SharpMap v2.0 and it is running stable, but I must admit that I'm not using all of the functionality there is.

You might also want to take a look at the v0.9.5-deltares branch and see if that is of use for you.

If you are going for a web application I'd suggest you stick with sharpmap v0.9.

Hth FObermaier

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I'm sorry, but I can not find a list of steps to reproduce any of the errors I'm getting. I'm just loading sevelar shapes and doing zooms, panning, queries... I would like to know the opinion of a real project that is using v2.0.

My project is nor a web application. v0.9 works fine for me and I think I'm going to start my project using it. But before, I'm going to test the v0.9.5-deltares branch ;-)

Regards and congratulations for your job in this project.