Live sites

Topics: General Topics
Nov 21, 2006 at 2:35 PM
Hello Everyone - I'd like to know if anyone is willing to share some links to live sites using SharpMap. I'm starting to get my feet wet and wanted to see what others have been developing and in particular some good UI design ideas.
Jan 11, 2007 at 9:51 AM
Here is one I just did for my TopoDepot site. http://topodepot.com/selectbymap2.aspx

It uses OpenLayers to get some custom SharpMap layers on top of the Terraserver topo maps. The data is stored in SQL Server. It was really easy to code.

The interesting thing about this is that the Sharpmap layers run on a shared (ASPNIX) $7.00/month server. I didn't have to be an admin, or install anything special to the server. The shared web server just needs Windows Server 2003, ASP.NET 2.0, and SQL Server 2005 - a pretty easy combo to find.

It is reasonably fast once it gets going, because most of the work is done by the SQL Server machine, rather than the web site machine itself. Once the SQL indexes get loaded by the ASPNIX SQL machine, it speeds right up. I was pleasantly surprised to see this actually work.

Roger