Google Maps, Bing tilalyer licensing issues

Topics: General Topics, SharpMap v0.9 / v1.x
Jul 16, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Hi All!

As I am not a lawyer it is very hard for me to understand licensing issues of Google and Bing Maps. My question is:

Can I use Bing/Google Maps tile layers in SharpMap in commercial applications? If so, what are the main restrictions?

Thx:

Tamas

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Hello,

I could be wrong because the legalese coming from Google and Microsoft changes often, but as an ex-user of google and bing in our commercial apps I believe the apps must be publicly available or you have to pay big bucks. So if you will be displaying sensitive business intelligence information in a layer and the rest of the maps comes from their services you can’t do it. Our clients of course only want their analysts and management to see their maps.

After several discussions with the Google/Microsoft sales teams they wanted 10K per client per year, and we could only make a set number of maps or it was another 10K per client per year.

There are more practical options ;)

In fairness I should add they blamed their data providers for the onerous conditions.

Regards,

Tom

Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 4:25 PM
To: tparker@atlasbuilders.com
Subject: Google Maps, Bing tilalyer licensing issues [SharpMap:265420]

Hi All!

As I am not a lawyer it is very hard for me to understand licensing issues of Google and Bing Maps. My question is:

Can I use Bing/Google Maps tile layers in SharpMap in commercial applications? If so, what are the main restrictions?

Thx:

Tamas

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:15 PM
Edited Jul 17, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Hi Tom!

Thx. 10K/client/year?! Never will use that. Just to compare you can buy full set of maps for a region -e.g. Eu- from the best map vendors for similar amount of price and U can use it any number of clients you want.