SharpMap + Linux

Topics: SharpMap Project, SharpMap v0.9 / v1.x
Aug 8, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Hello I wonder if you can continue to develop applications developed in VS 2008 and using SharpMap development in IDEs like MonoDevelop on Linux ...

Coordinator
Aug 9, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Hello Daniel,

it is one of our goals to support both .Net and Mono frameworks. Unfortunately I do not have much experience with it, so please, if you run into problems, let us know.

AFAIK, you can safely set target framework version to 3.5, if that is a problem.

Cheers FObermaier

Aug 9, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Hello thank you very much for answering FObermaier and be as attentive to my concerns.

Realize this question for my dissertation (thesis) is to make a Geographic Information System
I decided to do this using SharpMap and among the questions that I made ​​is whether the software I am
is cross-platform development and so I doubt arises as to whether further assuming a migration
Linux Operating System to my software made ​​in VS 2008 + SharpMap can continue to develop in Linux ..

Again thank you very much for your attention ..

Developer
Aug 19, 2011 at 6:23 AM

Hello Daniel,

I am currently using SharpMap on linux. I had a problem with SharpMap functionality (Map.GetMap() ) on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, but have discovered recently that everything seems to work great on Ubuntu 11.04. I now run a couple of apps that use SharpMap to generate maps and work a lot with WMS services. It appears the issue in earlier versions was actually caused by a bug in the version of mono running on those platforms, not SharpMap. Let me know if you need any more information and I can share the details of how I do my development and run it in production. I do my development using Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop and push to a production headless Ubuntu 11.04 Server. Using SharpMap on Ubuntu does work well and is reliable and fast!!!

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Hello Atv

Thanks for your comment and forgive my delay in answer is that I do not have a PC for Internet access in some occasions always alone. I opened this topic because I have a desktop check and wanted to see if it could be done in Linux too. I wonder if you have worked sharpmap desktop applications using Linux and if you can Help me with this .. Thank you very much again ..... I hope your answer!! Sorry my poor English is that I am Cuban and most translations are performed in the google ...

Developer
Aug 31, 2011 at 4:06 AM

Here is a link to my linux & GIS blog http://linuxgis.blogspot.com/. I don't have any SharpMap posts yet but will try to add one soon. I don't use SharpMap in any Desktop applications. I have used it a lot for web applications though. I'll put up a simple example map application of SharpMap running on Ubuntu Linux soon and post a comment here to let you know. Cheers, Atv

Developer
Sep 1, 2011 at 11:02 PM

One quick note. Since you are building a desktop application, you could use MonoDevelop to create a Gtk / C# project. This would be a platform independent way to build a desktop GIS application using SharpMap to create maps. I built a little test application that just pans around some WMS layers. I built it completely in MonoDevelop with the Stetic GUI builder interface. Works well and can run on any platform. Let me know if you want me to post some sample code or a blog post.

Coordinator
Sep 2, 2011 at 1:54 PM

hello arwen, why don't you add it as a GTK/C' sample application to the trunk?

cheers Felix

Developer
Sep 2, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Sure. I'll clean it up and try to commit it today.

Developer
Sep 2, 2011 at 9:03 PM

I committed some sample code to Trunk/GtkFormsSamples/. Fobermaier, Please feel free to do whatever you need to with this code, or move it to somewhere else. I don't want to "trash up" the trunk. I did not include a reference to it from any other solutions.