SharpMap v2.0 Update

Topics: CompactFramework, SharpMap Project, SharpMap v2.0
Coordinator
May 29, 2008 at 2:06 AM
Hiya folks,

Finally some good news about SharpMap v2.0 other than "it's coming".

It now builds and renders maps fairly well (about like Beta 1, but not quite).

There are still some issues with it, so we're still a ways from a solid Beta 2, but my plan is to have a few people go through the build to make sure that it is reasonably sound, and then release an interim build. If I can get some build server horsepower dedicated to the project, I might even be able to make regular builds available as releases, given that CodePlex supports automated build publishing.

I've updated the Building SharpMap v2.0 page to reflect the latest updates. I've also tested the build in VS 2008 Pro, C# 2008 Express, C# 2005 Express and from the command line with MSBuild 3.5 and MSBuild 2.0. If anyone tries, and can't build it, let me know specifically what the issue is, and, preferably, a fix, since I might not be able to test it.

If you want to help out with v2.0, here are some needs:

1. Porting data providers (PostGIS, Oracle, GDAL/OGR, MsSqlSpatial, SQL 2008, etc.) over to v2.0.
  2. Building demo apps and example code using SharpMap v2.0.
  3. The presenters / views for ASP.Net; John Diss has made a good start at this, but I haven't folded it into the main project. It could use some attention by more developers who can envision and execute it, since there is so much to consider these days.
  4. WMS / WFS
    1. For clients, the implementations of IProvider to do data access.
    2. For servers, the implementations of the presenters / views.
  5. Fixing broken NTS unit tests.
  6. Expanding SharpMap unit tests.

To the "spin-off" projects, like blackrussian's WPF renderer/presenter/view and the SharpMapCF v2.0, if you have any problems with the architecture of the current builds, let me know as soon as you can, since I'm going to start treating the type interfaces as "done" and not want to change them until v2.0 releases. I know that there are a number of problems outstanding, like some lingering assumptions of a non-retained mode graphics system within the rendering subsystem of SharpMap, and the issues with FeatureDataTable for CF. It would be nice to get all of these out on the table so we can track them.

May 29, 2008 at 9:10 AM
good news. i will turn to use V2.
thanks your effort.

hshutao.
Developer
May 29, 2008 at 9:30 AM
Build perfectly in vs2008 and vs2005 using the new instructions.
Thanks a lot for your efforts (especially for NTS, from my perspective...), I hope to be useful for some tasks.
Developer
May 29, 2008 at 10:54 AM
Edited May 29, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Big news (just second after Google Earth Javascript API news ;-)

But... maybe I did something wrong. I just built a fresh download (really fresh, in a new machine) from the URLs specified in the How-To guide, but it failed.  Some frequent errors from NTS build are "The type or namespace name 'Diagnostics' does not exist in the namespace 'GeoAPI' (are you missing an assembly reference?)" and "The non-generic type 'GeoAPI.Coordinates.ICoordinate' cannot be used with type arguments". Tell me if you need a full build log.

Developer
May 29, 2008 at 11:06 AM
My mistake. I hadn't renamed the SharpMap directory (just realized the purpose of the VS macro).
Coordinator
May 29, 2008 at 11:06 AM
Hi Ricardo, I'm facing a similar issue.. before this release I used to edit the project files and change the tag <UseProjectReferences> to True
and re reference GeoAPINoTFS instead of GeoAPI
but this time a lot of files seem to have disappeared from GeoAPI. Helpfully svnbrige keeps dying as well..

Update: there is a new project GeoAPI.Net which seems to resolve this.. I downloaded the whole source from [url:http://www.codeplex.com/GeoAPI/SourceControl/DownloadSourceCode.aspx?changeSetId=18458]

Developer
May 29, 2008 at 11:25 AM
John,
I started to manually re reference GeoAPINoTFS too, but then I realized that the macro "ChangeProjectReferences\SolutionReferences.vsmacro" should be doing that. So, in my case, the mistake was to keep SharpMap trunk directory named "trunk" instead of "SharpMap". After rename it, the solution built right.