Routing Engine

Topics: Algorithms, General Topics
Jun 23, 2008 at 6:29 PM
Does anyone know of an open source routing engine that works with Sharpmap?
Jun 23, 2008 at 7:11 PM
No, but we get a lot of requests for it. It sounds like it would be a good feature to add to the Work Item list and some contrib patches. Hint, hint. ;)

The basic idea would be to create a linear network via a graph and then apply well known routing algorithms to it. The creation of a linear network would be helped by the linear referencing functionality in NTS.

I've had my eye on the possibility of replacing the NTS-provided graph object models (there are 2 - PlanarGraph and GeometryGraph) with a single simplified graph object model based on QuickGraph, since there would be some nice algorithms to take advantage of there out of the box, but this might not make a lot of sense because it adds complexity and dependencies. It might be better to just create a new PlanarGraph operation in NTS which creates an analogue QuickGraph graph and runs the routing algorithm on it, and returns a resulting geometry via the mechanisms already in place for it.
Jul 15, 2008 at 12:45 PM
I've added a bunch of tests:
I think that this code sucks, but maybe could be a start...
Jul 15, 2008 at 2:25 PM
Hi Diego

Funnilly i started work on something simlair just recently (well day before yesterday) But from the other end, so i have a class that extends the list type in system.collections and contains each link making up the path with the total distance.

I'll try ad get my code online somewhere.