Virtual earth

Topics: Data Access, General Topics, SharpMap Project, WinForms Controls
Feb 26, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Hi all, I have a question for you.

Google earth has known problems regarding the license, but it seems Bing and Virtual Earth have not.

I tried Bing but the terrain details aren't good enough for me, so I read all posts talking about the Virtual earth integration and I was wondering how to do this.

I also heard that it might exist a wms server in virtual earth, could it be true?

Does anyone know how to integrate virtual earth on sharpmap?

Thanks to everyone

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:43 AM

As far as I know Virtual Earth is the old name for some products that are now called Bing Maps. I have worked with Virtual Earth 3D and it used the same aerial photos as Bing. 

The quality of the photos can vary between areas. How did you judge it?

The Bing aerial photos are not free for use either, but you can get a payed account to use them.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM

So I re-tryed bing maps. But both googlemaps and bingmaps freeze for more than 1 minute on every zoom.... The code freezes in the function Render, when executing this:

what is this?

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Edited Feb 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM

What kind of license problems do you think? I think Bing Maps has similar terms and conditions as Google Maps, so if something is not allowed to do freely in GoogleMaps, that is also restricted in Bing Maps. E.g. you must not use them in vehicle tracking apps or in payed ones or in apps that can not be downloaded for free. Etc.

Use openstreetmap based maps instead. Like, they have satellite imagery for free, but not as detailed as Google or Bing.

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I seen but the distance is not enough. I have to do a program that crosses my buildings or terrains in my database with a satellite image. For now I do this with .ecw files, but i though to do something more detailed. 

Wms services are very good for me, but i'm wondering if exists a global wms server