ProjNet version

Topics: General Topics
Mar 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Hi all,

The Proj.NET library used in SharpMap seems to be a custom built version, with a version number (1.2.3882.19088) that is inconsistent with any of this project releases (the 1.2 release version is 1.2.3432.30659, and the NuGet package version is 1.2.4455.27045). This makes it very difficult to use SharpMap along with another project that is dependent on (an inevitably different version of) Proj.NET.

I agree that the Proj.NET project should solve its own versions inconsistencies, but in the meantime do you think it would be possible to have SharpMap be dependent on one of the official Proj.NET versions above? (I would recommend the NuGet version, which is the latest).

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2012 at 11:26 AM

You can quite easy add assemblyRedirects  to you config that redirects the binding to either sharpmap:s  or Proj.NET official version.

See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7wd6ex19(v=vs.71).aspx

That said, I agree that we should use the official-version as long as it's possible.

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM

The issue with the original Proj.Net version is -iirc-, that it is so locked in, it is impossible to derive new coordinate systems.

If the version provided via the nuget package does not have that issue, we could consider using that.

Cheers FObermaier

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Yes, I know about the possibility of redirections but:

• it's annoying at best.
  • I can't resolve myself to ask everyone to manually tweak their machine.config file to be able to use FxCop for instance...
Mar 23, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Thanks for your answer.

If you (SharpMap) made changes to Proj.NET, it would seem reasonable to either:

• get the changes back to the original project and be dependent on an official release of it.
  • fork it, alter its name and make your own releases that everyone can benefit from.
  • have the whole original source merged into SharpMap (in different namespaces).

This would give greater freedom to anyone using SharpMap. So the question is: was Proj.NET altered specifically for SharpMap?

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Any update?