What am I missing for Sharpmapv2?

Topics: General Topics, SharpMap v2.0
Apr 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I am new to Sharpmap, and began by using the 0.9 version to build a basic map, with various kinds of layers such as vectors, labels, raster, etc.  It was going well until I was given the requirement to write shapefiles, and found the note that this capability was only available in Sharpmapv2.  So  I dutifully obtained the source and used Visual Studio 2010 to build it, which turned out to be a challenge in itself.

But then I found that my previous application couldn't find several classes that I thought would certainly still be available in v2, such as SharpMap.Layers.VectorLayer, SharpMap.Geometries, and SharpMap.Styles.VectorStyle, as well as methods such as Sharpmap.Map.GetMap(), Sharpmap.Map.ZoomToExtents(), etc.

I get the feeling I am missing something very basic here, but I have looked through all of the source from the Sharpmapv2 repository, and can't seem to find these things.

Is Sharpmapv2 ready for prime time, or still in the early stages?  I guess I assumed v2 was going to include all the capabilities of 0.9, but be new and improved.  Is that not the case?  Do I need to somehow combine the features I need from the two distributions?

I have looked for documentation on this subject, but have not turned up anything.  Help with understanding all this would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:34 AM

You do not find a SharpMap.Geometries namespace because SharpMap v2 uses NetTopologySuite v2 as its geometry engine.

VectorStyle -> GeometryStyle

SharpMap v2 follows a Model-View-Presenter pattern. To get an image of the map, you need to use one of the Presentation projects.

SharpMap v2 is work in -slow- process.

Hth FObermaier