Compile / Use in VS 2008

Topics: General Topics, WinForms Controls
Feb 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM
I still have only VS 2008...... How can I use SharpMap?
Developer
Feb 9, 2013 at 1:54 AM
you can use Sharp Develop or the VS2012 Express Edition, the source will compile nicely in either.
Feb 9, 2013 at 4:37 AM
Thanks. I will download VS2012 Express Edition.

My requirement is to make a knowledge management system based on a nautical chart (We mariners use a chart and not a map. And when we say chart, we mean a nautical map, and not the normal chart! :). I should be able to show a nautical chart, on a windows Form/Web Page, I should be able to save text/image/documents in a database with location (latitude-longitude combination) and retrieve these when user selects a position in the chart displayed. I am looking at SharpMap for the first time. So, firstly, am I in the right place? If so, is there any requirement of any chart server software or any such other components? Do we have any samples on utilising SharpMap?
Developer
Feb 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM
geo123abram wrote:
My requirement is to make a knowledge management system based on a nautical chart (We mariners use a chart and not a map. And when we say chart, we mean a nautical map, and not the normal chart! :). I should be able to show a nautical chart, on a windows Form/Web Page, I should be able to save text/image/documents in a database with location (latitude-longitude combination) and retrieve these when user selects a position in the chart displayed. I am looking at SharpMap for the first time. So, firstly, am I in the right place? If so, is there any requirement of any chart server software or any such other components? Do we have any samples on utilising SharpMap?
If your primary intent is to use a ready made Open Source GIS platform that just works (no coding required), then you will be better off looking at something like QGIS.

If you wish to build a custom KMS and are ready to do a bit of coding, SharpMap is a good place to start.

You can get code samples if you download the source.
Feb 10, 2013 at 5:00 AM
Thanks for the info. I am ready to do some coding, though this is the first time that I am getting into this type of a project, that too with limited experience. Also, let me see if QGIS meets my requirement.

Will revert with queries if any.
Feb 11, 2013 at 5:15 PM
The internet connection in my area (an island actually) is very slow. I am not able to download 183MB of source code from codeplex. Connection failed number of times and the download time is indicated as one to two days! Is there any way I can download the course code from through torrent?
Developer
Feb 12, 2013 at 4:06 AM
have you tried using a download manager??

you might want to try downloading the source with svn, sometimes it helps
Feb 12, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Well, the internet connection is in linux (Ubuntu 12.04) and I have no choice over this. So, download manager...... I will have to speak to my sysadmin......
Feb 13, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Well, I was lucky to get it through....... Downloaded the complete source code...... Thanks. Hope to get back soon with my serious (dumb? ) queries soon.......