Layers / Performance / Zoom In

Topics: SharpMap v2.0
May 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Edited May 14, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Hi,
I am presently evaluating if SharpMaps is the right tool for us.
I like that SharpMap allows to load a .osm without a database.

I have 3 questions that I want to confirm:

1: Is it possible to add a custom layer, I mean that we would like to add a layer that has points to different location.

2: What about the performance when you load the datas only for an .osm without getting the tiles from a server? How big a map can be to have a good performance?

3: About the zoom in? I want to be sure that it works how I would like. :) If I load a map of NewYorkCity, when I zoom-in, will I get the small streets and when I zoom-out, the small elements will disappear?

4: I believe not, but does SharpMap ask for any royalty?

Thank you very much for answering my question.
Developer
May 15, 2013 at 7:09 AM
read here about sharpmap with osm data.

Anyway, my 2 cents:
  1. If I've understood, you need to show osm data AND other kind of data, maybe points from your custom data source.
    You can acheive this with sharpmap, but also with OpenLayers or Leaflet (from a GeoJSON source generated from sharpmap). But maybe you don't need a webapp.
  2. Using file-based data means poor performances by default, if you need to show lot of data, you need at least some kind of advanced storage server-side (like a db), where you can store osm data. This isn't a sharpmap fault: to my experience, sharpmap is faster that mapserver and geoserver.
  3. You can create different layers, then configure this layers to appear only from a specified scale factor.
    Each layer can be from the same data, but with a specified "selection query" (you should use a database for this).
  4. No royalties.
May 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Since D_Guidi answered each point I will generalize a bit.
I would not hesiatate to employ SharpMap. Over the last 18 months the developers have done a tremendous job in improving every aspect(especially the Geo API's). I cannot speak to ShapeMaps performance as a web server but as a desktop application it is great. I do tend to softly disagree w/D_Guidi on the file-based performance issue. I am using the "new" managed spatialite vector layer w/approx 1.4 million geometries within 10 different files and performance is NOT an issue at all.
Another point I would make is that this is a very well thought out mapping application. Yes, the documentation is not the best but it is better than most public domain stuff. They do keep up with the examples and they all seem readily available to answer specific questions.

Anyway...this is good stuff.
dennis
Developer
May 15, 2013 at 12:10 PM
djonio wrote:
I am using the "new" managed spatialite vector layer w/approx 1.4 million geometries within 10 different files and performance is NOT an issue at all.

thanks to pointing me to Spatialite file format, it's a file but it's like a database, and can be a great solution for this purpose