Offline Maps with ASP.NET MVC Intranet Application

Topics: CompactFramework
May 21, 2013 at 12:09 PM
I am looking for any Offline Maps(Free maps) to integrate into our ASP.NET MVC intranet application.

Our application will be offline not connected to the internet.

I am quite new to mapping i am very confused about tile concept data etc., how to download maps and integrate into mvc, what to download all that , can anyone please help me or point in right direction please.

We have database table that holds list of Latitude and Longitudes. We would like to query the database table and display the points on the free map where they can do zoom in and zoom out.

We would like to add a pin for each Latitude and Longitude on the MAP programatically.

I was searching for a solution on the internet and SharpMap and OpenStreetMap came up.

Can any one please help me how and where can i find Trinidad and Tobago maps for offline viewing and integrating into our .Net Application please.

Please help.
Editor
May 21, 2013 at 4:08 PM
I would start by looking for your data sources.

Geoserver is a good option for hosting WMS maps, and openstreetmap is a good source of free data.

For something as simple as you are describing, it would probably be easier to use OpenLayers as that can be embedded right in the page, with very little javascript.
May 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Thank you so much Robert, This was very important project to me and couple of days ago i was clue less how to solve. Now you put me on right track. Thank you.

I just got couple of eBooks on OpenLayers (cookbook and begineers guide) i will explore.

Cheers
Developer
May 22, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Robert_Smart wrote:
Geoserver is a good option for hosting WMS maps, and openstreetmap is a good source of free data.
For something as simple as you are describing, it would probably be easier to use OpenLayers as that can be embedded right in the page, with very little javascript.
you can easily replace Geoserver with SharpMap, as WMS server.
Take a look at the SharpMap.Demo.Wms project under Examples section of the source code, you can find some OpenLayers + SharpMap WMS + OpenStreetMap tiles samples.
Editor
May 22, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Or use sharpmap as WMS server.

However Geoserver might be easier to set up for a beginner as it has a lot more documentation, and a nice visual interface.
Developer
May 22, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Robert_Smart wrote:
Or use sharpmap as WMS server.
this is exactly what I mean
May 22, 2013 at 9:10 AM
.Net application i am developing is for Offline Maps, there will be no internet connection and it will be hosted in very secure environment where there will be no access to the internet.

I am little confused how to integrate offline maps to .Net application.

it is actually possible ?
Developer
May 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM
netsri wrote:
I am little confused how to integrate offline maps to .Net application.
it is actually possible ?
you can use sharpmap as wms server, so using a local webserver (like UltiDev Web Server Pro http://www.ultidev.com/download/default.aspx) you can build a webpage that fetch data from a local wms server, that reads data from a local data source like a spatialite file database or other kind of data.
you're inside a webpage, but in fact you're disconnected from the outside.
reading better your original question, you're already came up with a MVC intranet web app, so SharpMap can help you because all you need is to setup some data, and configure a WMS handler to add to your MVC infrastructure.

If you need to serve also OpenStreetMap data, and you're offline from the world. The easy way is to cache the tiles.
There are some posts in this forum that can help you with this.
Another way is to download the OSM shapefiles and build your own local datasource from this.