Compatibility of .Net Framework 4.5 and .Net Framework 4.0

Topics: CompactFramework, SharpMap v0.9 / v1.x
Sep 15, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Dear all,

I have a question to ask.

I am currently using SharpMap as an important GIS component to visualise map and GIS objects. I understand the current version is based on .Net 4.0 where I am using it to compile the code. But right now I have to use another C# component which is based on .Net 4.5. This means that if I need to use the .net 4.5, I have to change to the current .Net 4.0 framework to .net 4.5 framework, but it causes the compatibility problem as I am currently using .Net 4.0. The change to .Net 4.5 may result in the disruption of function of Sharpmap.

I want to know if I can use two components together in same platform from two framework (.net 4.0 and .net 4.5). Could you please provide me some guidance?
May 20, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Why has this post not gotten any attention? I am having the same problem. If SharpMap is never going to be compatible with newer versions of the .NET framework, then I probably shouldn't invest time in learning how to use it etc.
Coordinator
May 20, 2014 at 12:03 PM
Why are you so unprecise?
What have you been doing to get it to work?
Have you tried to use the nuget packaged version of SharpMap with .Net Framework 4.5?
Have you recompiled it yourself, targeting Net45?
Editor
May 20, 2014 at 1:39 PM
It current uses the 4.03 client profile version of .net

There are plans to move it to version 4.5, but there is an argument against this as it forces all users to upgrade the version, which might not be compatible with there business strategy.

Either way I believe that version 3.0 of SharpMap (version 2 is being skipped) will target version 4.5