any 3d functionality

Topics: SharpMap v2.0
Jun 12, 2009 at 4:16 PM

I have heard about the 3d capability in source code tree of v2.0. What are the capabilities of this 3d rendering? We have some dem and geotiff files and want to render them in 3d. Can this 3d rendering files do it? If not, where can we start to look for that capability?

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Hi padrino, there is no raster functionality in v2 at present, there is some plumbing for 3d coordinates but no support for 3d rendering yet. hth jd

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:21 PM

hi john we handled the raster image rendering with some small inconsistencies and we think after a while it will become available for all sharpmap users. I want to know what is the purpose of these 3d files in rendering folder...

padrino

Editor
Jun 23, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I've written some tools that read in various height models - DEM, Tins etc.

There would be a "Issue" IMO currently with regard to this. I'm assuming that this would be handled in somehting like DirectX (As i Did it). Unfortunatly MS paused Managed DirectX at 1.1, instead choosing to concentrate on XNA - which would be totally unsuitably for this type of thing.

There is an open sauce project called SlimDX which effectively acts as a interface between, but i'm not sure how that would fit in with the current aim of SharpMap/NTS/GeoAPI etc which appears to be "modularity/interopability" (not sure if thats the best choice of words")

Anybody have any thoughts??

Ed

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2009 at 6:20 PM
Edited Jun 23, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Hi Ed, we are aware of SlimDX and may eventually target it.. WPF is likely to be ahead..  cheers jd