v2.0 progress update?

Topics: CompactFramework, SharpMap v2.0
Jul 14, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Hi - can anyone provide or direct me to a summary of V2.0 progress and plans?

1. what works? what doesn't?
  2. what are the active areas of development?
  3. what is the overall driver - what features are driving current progress?
  4. what are the current dependencies/relations to npack, geoapi.net, nts, proj.net?
  5. is a CF v2 branch still active and making progress?
  6. what are the current repositories for v2 and dependencies - codeplex, google, other?
  7. are the build instructions still current?
  8. is the roadmap still accurate?

thank you, Mark

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Hi Mark, a few points are covered by http://sharpmap.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=60873 
I dont know anything about he state of the CF project but I suspect it is dormant.
At present http://sharpmapv2.googlecode.com is the current svn. The svn has externals set which should arrange the whole tree correctly - after that it should build out of the box.

hth jd

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Thanks, jd. Can you elaborate just a sentence or two on each of these:

1. what works, what doesn't?
  2. what areas are actively under development?
  3. what features are driving current development?
  4. and especially - dependencies/relations to the other projects - npack, geoapi.net, nts, proj.net?

Thank you very much for the orientation, MC

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM
Edited Jul 14, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Hi again Mark,

1) it would be easier to answer an 'I need x,y,z'  type question

2) really all the things on the link above but especially, the ManagedAGG changes and moving back to codeplex

3) from my side: things my employer/clients need ;)

4) not quite sure what you want to know here so I'll try and explain how the projects fit together:

NPack is basically a matrix processing/linear algebra library which supplies some low level interfaces and numerical structures. All the libs depend on it.

GeoAPI defines an abstraction of a number of things including Geometries (following the OGC dimple features spec), Operations on Geometries, Coordinate Systems, Coordinate  Transforms, Indexes and a few utility structures and enumeration types. The idea is that other libraries can implement these interfaces in their own objects and these objects will be interoperable with other libraries using GeoAPI definitions.

ProjNet implements the Coordinate Systems and Coordinate Transform parts of GeoAPI and hence has a dependency on it

NTS implements the Geometries / Topological Operations parts of GeoAPI and hence has a dependency on it

Sharpmap depends on GeoAPI and NPack it then uses objects supplied by NTS and ProjNet but only by the GeoAPI 'handles'

hth jd