Copy all geometry and features from one shapefile to another

Topics: SharpMap Project, SharpMap v2.0, WinForms Controls
Aug 12, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Hello guys!

I would like to ask you for a litte bit of help.

Here's what I need :

I have some shapefiles and I want to make some new ones. Using C# and SharpMap v2.0, I need to copy from example1.shp to myshape.shp the whole content of example1.shp. System.IO.File.Copy(@"C:\example1", @"C:\destination") is certainly is not an option.

I need to open example1, parse it, and copy each feature and geometry in the newly created myshape.shp (at the time, I have only the header.) Some code snippet would be higly appreciated.

You me be asking why do I need this?
Well, the answer is quite simple : I want to add color info (and some style info maybe) into the layer plus some other things I don't want to mention yet, until it's done and working smooth. (if you want, I could share my work afterwards)

Well, I must mention that I am a beginner with SharpMap. I would also like to apologise for my "not-so-good" english.

I thank you all in advance.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Hi georgeblaga,

there is a FormatConverter Project in the demo section of the sharpmap solution that might get you started. Just pretend you want to convert from shapefile to shapefile.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:33 AM
Edited Aug 12, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Perhaps the ShapeExporter demo would be an easier starting point - that demo takes a shapefile of n records and produces n shapefiles of 1 record - there is less *magic* to get in the way ;) .

hth jd

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:29 PM
Edited Aug 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Thanks fobermaier and johndiss for your replies. I really appreciate!

But the thing is that I don't want to use converters. I create a new, blank shapefile and then I start adding features from an existing, "genuine" shapefile.Actually, is not really blank, because the create method from the shapefile class writes the file header.

So, if I didn't make myself understanded in the first post , converting, copying etc is not an option. I need a blank .shp (from the features' and geometries' point of view)

Also, another thing I have missed to mention, I don't use the SharpMap 2.0 from, but the old SharpMap 2.0 from here, from codeplex

Here is a piece of my code:

public void LoadShapefileLayer(ShapeFile OriginalShapefile,ShapeFile NewShapeFile)
                if (OriginalShapefile.ShapeType != ShapeType.Polygon && OriginalShapefile.ShapeType != ShapeType.PolyLine
                    && OriginalShapefile.ShapeType != ShapeType.MultiPoint && OriginalShapefile.ShapeType != ShapeType.Point)

int Count = OriginalShapefile.GetFeatureCount();

//List<Geometry> geometry = new List<Geometry>();
                BoundingBox ext = OriginalShapefile.GetExtents();
                IEnumerable<Geometry> geometries = OriginalShapefile.GetGeometriesInView(ext);
                foreach (Geometry geom in geometries)
                //    List<SharpMap.Geometries.Point> points = new List<SharpMap.Geometries.Point>();
                    FeatureDataSet fds = new FeatureDataSet();
                    OriginalShapefile.ExecuteIntersectionQuery(geom.GetBoundingBox(), fds);
                    FeatureDataTable fdt = fds.Tables[0];

if (fdt.Rows.Count > 0)
                        foreach (FeatureDataRow fdr in fdt.Rows)
                            if (geom.Equals(fdr.Geometry))

Both files are opened; OriginalShapefile is enabled for reading and the NewShapefile is enabled for writing.

Ok, don't bother to test the code, it doesn't works.

<EDIT1> : // A strange thing is that count is 0 and I don't have any idea why, honestly..1

Count is not 0 anymore. Reason was... well... kind of stupid.. I've commented out some lines in Open(..) method, the ones that parsed the index and projection. Counting is ok now,,

<EDIT2>: well, it kind of works. I mean something like : both the original and the newly created have the same size, somewhere around 2 mb.. But.. When i open the new shape, with the debugger, some features aren't there. Like the envelope box. which is empty. also, i don't have the same number of features. In the original one, the variable Count is ~ 70k, while in the new one it's ~ 50. att: 50, not 50k.

What am I doing wrong?

I need to see this working, before I start adding color and style info directly in the .shp

I hope you understand what I want (I'm not really good in explaining to others what I want to do :) )

Thanks again for support and I expect to hear (or read :P ) from you :)

By the way, nice job that you are doing here, with SharpMap!

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Hi georgblaga, the code you have posted is not current v2 code, the real v2 is @ , also both the demo projects suggested above do create new shapefiles and populate them not convert an existing file (but they require the real v2)..  

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Thanks again johndiss. Only after editing my post I seen your message.

I'll switch to the real v2 code and try what you told me.

Thanks again!

If I have any doubts, which I can not solve in any manner, I'll ask for your help again!

Have a nice day :)