SharpMapV2 + project dying?

Topics: SharpMap Project, General Topics
May 14, 2007 at 12:18 PM
I would like to have some answers by developers about SharpMapV2 project.
It's almost 1 month I'm trying to compile and write a demo about this beta version, but there are simplyt oo many bugs in the repository version... infinite recursion in retrieving boundingbox from view, problems setting up ToolsView (why having multiple list of tools in the ctor if only a mapViewControl is passed? Why tools are duplicated in the presenter and in the mapViewControl? It's better to choose if tools are a property owned by presenter or control...), no example about using the presenter architecture (not so important, but with so many bugs it could help a bit)...
Now I would like to know: is the repository version the most updated one?
I asked at least in 4 posts news about SMv2, but no answer was given, and we have no news post form developers since almost 1 month, neither in the forum nor in the issue tracker (where many issues have been pointed out and some code fixes have been added)... it seems to me that the project is dying...
May 14, 2007 at 8:44 PM
v2 is a research project. It is not in any way meant to be used at this stage. Heck... v1 hasn't been even released yet! v2 is just trying out some ideas based on lessons learned from v1. It's basically a prototype, and we all know that prototypes should never evolve into the final product (I would think v1's codebase should be the one to evolve into v2, based on the research project)
May 14, 2007 at 11:06 PM
Well, obviusly it is a prototype, but in previous posts it has been pointed out that GDI renderer was almost complete, I thought it was possible to play with it a little and maybe show a map, but this simple task is not possible, as far as I can see... on the other hand there are some good pieces of codedeveloped for current release... another little problem is the difference between v2 and 2.0 alpha (which is 0.9 with some fixes, spatial indexing and changing from Collection<T> to List<T>based functions)... while v2 is a prototype, as you say, 2.0 alpha is far more stable, and has less in common with v2... it could be good to understand what will be future stages of this project. ^^

Btw, this post was not meant to start an argue, but to receive some informations since, in the last month, devs posts are quite rare ^^
Coordinator
Jun 19, 2007 at 10:33 AM
Edited Jun 19, 2007 at 10:37 AM
Right - dev posts are rare. Not uncommon in the free software world, as far as I can tell. Not that it isn't frustrating. I use about 5 OSS projects where the devs are just not doing anything about the issues I wantfixed. Of course, this happens in the paid softwareworld too...

BladeWise - we are in the process of adding the V2 code into source control on the CodePlex site. You will probably be better served by getting a refresh. The alpha stuff posted a while back has been changed significantly. Also, I'm not sure where you are getting the distinction between v2 and v2 alpha... there never was intended to be one.

If you'd like to repost the questions, I'll do my best to answer them, as I have a small window of opportunity to do so.