Indoor Mapping with SharpMap?

Topics: Algorithms
Jun 18, 2007 at 10:42 PM
I need to write an app to overlay various types of data on building floorplans.
I'm currently doing this using the asp.net graphics/graphicspath classes but results in rather boring static 2D images. I would like do something like google maps where I can overlay data and click the overlays to display details.

Can I use SharpMap for something like this? Specifically is it possible to use it with relatively freeform (i.e. JPG images of floorplans)? I will ofcourse do a basic calibaration i.e. mark out the bounds of the floorplan so I know how that translates to onscreen coordinates.

Coordinator
Jun 18, 2007 at 11:06 PM
If I'm understanding correctly, you want do create freeform or ad-hoc shapes on a map surface? If so, v2.0 is gaining that functionality by allowing feature adding and removal.
Jun 19, 2007 at 2:57 PM
well i guess I am a little confused about the addressing mechanism.

so in a typical world/area map one would refer to a point using lat/long or utm co-ords. but inside a building I don't have that luxury anymore, the data I have is in terms of room/floor/wing etc.
So my question then is, is it possible to easily address a particular location in a indoor floorplan using sharpmap, can I ask the system for something like 'show the map for Floor1, then overlay all the rooms for that floor on that map (say with color codes or something like that - I guess this is the feature you might have been referring to i.e. freeform or ad-hoc shapes)
Coordinator
Jun 19, 2007 at 4:58 PM
Actually, anything that gets displayed has coordinates. In this case, you could just create your own, and use the same one for each floorplan.