How can I contribute

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:40 PM
Congrats, great product! I googled a lot open source gis applications, so far yours is the best.

Basically I am developing a traffic engineering tool which rely heavily on gis, since we already have such great foundation here, I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I want to develope a plugin based on existing code.I have 5 years of c#/java experiences, how am I able to do that?
Coordinator
Sep 15, 2006 at 12:06 AM
Hi jianyunli -

Thanks for posting!

It sounds like you'd like to do some development. That would be great, since there is much to do and few resources. Have you done any GIS/spatial development? If you have, and have a good understanding of it, we need help with the spatial relational model.

I know our unit test coverage is pretty minimal, and there are some 2.0 features (WMS compatability) that need to be looked at as well.

If you've done DirectX or SVG work, 2.0 will introduce a new rendering model, which would use various rendering engines to produce the map. This needs some work.

Other than that, Volleyknaller or SharpGIS (project coords) could provide more info, since one of them would be who would decide how to let your contributions be meaningful.
Oct 27, 2006 at 11:48 AM
Hello codekaizen!

please also consider me for contributing.
I am a developer with 5 years experience on c#, 3 years experience on java, 8 years of experience on ESRI (ArcGIS Desktop, ArcObjects, ArcIMS, ArcSDE) and some experience with MapServer and PostGIS. Good knowledge of UML. I can use 20 hours per week in contributing at SharpMap

I would be very much interested to contribute in the following areas:
-DataProvider: PostGIS and MySQL Spatial, also for editing
-Writing an implementation for something like a mapfile (MapServer) or AXL (ArcIMS) for SharpMap
-Topology
-OpenGIS WFS and WMS

best regards!