SharpMap Compact Framework version

Topics: Español, General Topics, SharpMap v0.9 / v1.x, SharpMap v2.0
Sep 5, 2007 at 4:26 PM
Hi!

I've been developing a project with de Pocket Terra version of Sharpmap but it's based on a very old version of Sharpmap.

I've just finished the project and I want to convert the lastest version of SharpMap to Compact Framework. I will need the source code of the lastest version and help!! Any help will be appreciated.

Now, I put hte same message in Spanish, because it's my mother tounge.

Thanks!

Hola.

Acabo de terminar mi proyecto fin de carrera y me he dado cuenta que la versión de Sharpmap para Compact Framework que he utilizado está muy anticuada.

Me gustaría poder "convertir" la última versión de Sharpmap a Compact Framework. Para ello necesito saber donde se encuentran los fuentes de esta versión y cualquier ayuda que me podais dar.

¡Gracias!
Developer
Sep 5, 2007 at 6:27 PM
I'm with you ;)
Developer
Sep 7, 2007 at 3:11 AM
Im also reseaching sharmap for pocket PC. Who have lastest version? ,sharing it with evrybody !
Sep 7, 2007 at 9:23 AM
Hi!

This discussion is about to make a port of the lastest version of SharpMap to Compact Framework. But if you are searching the very out of date Compact Framework of SharpMap see www.pocketterra.com/downloads/SharpMapMobile.zip
Sep 14, 2007 at 9:09 AM
None else wants to contribute to the Compact Framework version of Sharpmap?
Coordinator
Sep 14, 2007 at 5:58 PM
I might be at some point in the future, but due to my current constraints, I can't say when that would be. The thing to do would be to jump start the project and see what help comes.
Developer
Sep 14, 2007 at 8:14 PM
Only an explaination:
the sources for the v2 version of sharpmap are hosted here@googlecode: http://code.google.com/p/sharpmapv2/ ?
I think that as a start we could try to take a look at the new code, because i think that we need two basic steps:
1) a "core" sharpmap that compiles under compact framework (i hope 2.0, but i fear that we need the VS2008 version)
2) a "graphic rendering" for PPC devices, that we could build as a separate layer (like WPF, GDI and much more...)
Sep 14, 2007 at 10:12 PM
I agree with your approach, Diego, and starting in October/November, I can contribute some development resources to the effort.
Sep 14, 2007 at 11:14 PM
Edited Sep 15, 2007 at 1:57 AM
I began working with that version for the .NET CF some time ago, and its doing well, but a bit slow. Im in the way to port the new version, cause i need shape creation and edition support, so i would be willing to help.
Coordinator
Sep 15, 2007 at 12:47 AM
Edited Sep 15, 2007 at 6:03 AM
@D_Guidi: That sounds like a good approch.

While the .Net CF 3.5 looks nice, I can understand wanting it to run on v2.0. Probably the biggest question to answer would be are the FeatureDataSet, FeatureDataTable and FeatureDataView supportable on the v2.0 CF, and if not what needs to be done to the core SharpMap to allow it to work?

A PPC specific renderer is a great idea... it could even use Mobile DirectX, which is amazingly functional in my experience.
Developer
Sep 15, 2007 at 9:34 AM

codekaizen wrote:
Probably the biggest question to answer would be are the FeatureDataSet, FeatureDataTable and FeatureDataView supportable on the v2.0 CF, and if not what needs to be done to the core SharpMap to allow it to work?

This is exactly the main problem i think we could find in the porting.
Maybe we could try to split some SharpMap functionalities in separate dll's, so it's easy to check what is portable, and what needs an heavy refactoring, and what need to be rewritten from scratch
Sep 15, 2007 at 11:19 AM
FeatureDataSet and FeatureDataTable are ported in the PocketTerra version of Sharpmap.

Maybe we can start working with this version of Sharpmap already ported. We can discover what parts has been ported successfully.
Developer
Sep 15, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Maybe we can start working with this version of Sharpmap already ported. We can discover what parts has been ported successfully.

I think that we could start from the latest versions of SharpMap (i.e V2 when the beta1 is released). I fear that the PocketTerra version is an old, old sharpmap version.
Sep 15, 2007 at 1:08 PM
I think so, but with that version from PocketTerra we can know what parts of Sharpmap can be port to Compact Framework.
Coordinator
Sep 15, 2007 at 9:13 PM
Edited Sep 15, 2007 at 9:23 PM
@VansFannel -

That would be a reasonable approach if not much had changed. However, much did change: it's just not very apparent from the surface, since I tried to be careful and not upset the general API design too much.

I think you'll find the FeatureDataSet and FeatureDataTable in v1.0 different enough from their v2.0 counterparts to make drawing conclusions about v2.0 from v1.0 derived code on CF dangerously misleading.
Sep 16, 2007 at 12:34 AM
I initially thought the port would be easier starting from the known ported version of Roger Bedell. But i think it's better doing what he did now with SharpMap v2.0. That's what i've begun to do with the version at http://code.google.com/p/sharpmapv2/

@D_Guidi:

I though GDI would improve the rendering much. And It's true for painting text, but not so for general drawing/filling, though not thoroughly tested.
Developer
Sep 17, 2007 at 3:23 PM
A useful GDI library for CF is here, although is old :(
http://msdn.microsoft.com/smartclient/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/html/XrossOne.asp
Dec 7, 2007 at 1:18 PM
Hi!

Where I can download the source code of Sharpmap? I want to work in the "translation" (porting) to Compact Framework

Thanks