Mapnic v SharpMap

Topics: General Topics, SharpMap v2.0
Sep 28, 2007 at 4:13 PM
Hi all. I am in the process of considering which mapping library to use to build our traffic mapping system for the UK. We will be investing upwards of $100k US so I need to make a decision and stick to it!

OpenStreetMap is a on-link Wiki mapping community that are gathering map data in order to share with the world (www.openstreetmap.org). They are using Mapnic to produce some very good looking maps. Trouble is it uses C++, Pyton & Linux and I am a MS boy.

I have looked at SharpMap examples, and although they look good, they are not on a par with the Mapnic stuff. Has anyone else produced road maps from any data source using SharpMap? If so could you send me some examples?

...also... is it possible to produce maps of Mapnic quality & detail using this library?

Any help apreciated.

Regards, Richard Thurbin.
Coordinator
Sep 28, 2007 at 5:28 PM
Hi Richard,

I'm curious - what about OpenStreetMap looks good to you? Is it the color scheme and anti-alias drawing? Is it something else?
Developer
Sep 28, 2007 at 8:23 PM
My2Cents... openstreetmaps and stuff like google maps looks great due to data and graphics rendering.
I don't think that SharpMap and .NET 2.0 are limited in rendering, but SharpMap generates data on the fly, and it's really different from a bunch of (great!!!) javascript that references static image tiles stored on a server...

A side note: why not a "RasterTileLayer" that retrieves data from googlemaps/virtualearth?
Sep 28, 2007 at 8:43 PM
Edited Sep 28, 2007 at 8:44 PM

codekaizen wrote:
I'm curious - what about OpenStreetMap looks good to you? Is it the color scheme and anti-alias drawing? Is it something else?
Colour scheme is great. Annt-aliasing is also good. I am particularly admire the labelling (especially street names), one way representation and the framing of roads in a boundary colour. If SharpMap can do the same thing then I can devote my efforts there, otherwise I might have to grow a beard and buy some sandals!
Sep 28, 2007 at 8:49 PM
Edited Sep 28, 2007 at 8:57 PM

D_Guidi wrote:
My2Cents... openstreetmaps and stuff like google maps looks great due to data and graphics rendering.
I don't think that SharpMap and .NET 2.0 are limited in rendering, but SharpMap generates data on the fly, and it's really different from a bunch of (great!!!) javascript that references static image tiles stored on a server...

A side note: why not a "RasterTileLayer" that retrieves data from googlemaps/virtualearth?

I need to generate these types of maps on the fly. Yes, tiles will be cached but only for about 5 minutes. Dont worry about the open layers stuff. That is already in place with a VERY CRUDE version of SharpMap WMS running of 200,000 open street map lines. http://maps.cloudamber.com/openLayers.htm. Cam my map (with lots of work) be turned in to something like Mapnic?

Regarding your last question, I need to take some road base vector data, enhance it with the latest journey times and produce maps that convey to the traveller what the travel conditions are like on their journey.
Coordinator
Sep 28, 2007 at 10:20 PM
Richard -

Some of the maps you can see on Screenshots are a bit more refined. Pretty much anything can be done with a CustomTheme in v1.0 - it depends on the kind of work you want to put into it.

In v2.0, there are a few more options for styling, but it mostly just makes what can already be done with a custom theme eaiser.

Finally, the options on the GDI renderer can make a big difference on how the output image looks. If you use rendering options which make GDI do anti-aliasing and dithering, the output looks much more smooth. This is the case with v1.0 or v2.0.

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:52 PM

codekaizen wrote:
Richard -

Some of the maps you can see on Screenshots are a bit more refined. Pretty much anything can be done with a CustomTheme in v1.0 - it depends on the kind of work you want to put into it.

In v2.0, there are a few more options for styling, but it mostly just makes what can already be done with a custom theme eaiser.

Finally, the options on the GDI renderer can make a big difference on how the output image looks. If you use rendering options which make GDI do anti-aliasing and dithering, the output looks much more smooth. This is the case with v1.0 or v2.0.
Thanks, I will take a look. Richard.
Jun 16, 2008 at 3:55 PM
hello CloudAmber,
I am interested in your application and what you are intending to do ?
is it similar to this one http://its.sodit.info/demo-sinergit/ (alpha version)?