Two questions: WPF, and Robotics studio

Topics: SharpMap v2.0
Dec 9, 2007 at 3:06 AM
Two questions:
1. Codekeizen - do you have any general remarks about of my WPF implementaion (given the fact that its all very preliminary). More importantly – do you intened to implement all the WPF layers from scratch, or can you give me some guidelines, so that my humble contribution will actually be beneficial to the overall effort.
2. Does anybody here considered some kind of an integration with MS Robotics Studio. I think there are some interesting scenarios that such combination can achieve, especially in the realm of 3d visualization?
Dec 10, 2007 at 7:55 AM
Hi blackrussian,

What I think, it can be of course very interesting to do the tracking visualization as example with help of Robotics Studio.

But I think also, this can be a wrong way to do the integration; because of MS Robotics Studio is only one of much more possible specialized hardware communication protocols. We have much more established protocols for CAN-Bus (as CANopen protocol) and Fieldbus, both are since long time widely used standards.

Much better is to define a really clean interface to do with the robotics scenarios, i.e. interfaces for supporting NMEA and other protocols, but doing it only by integration of libraries.
I've already asked more times, how to do the tracking visualization (dynamic point) at the simplest way and use the highlighted features to represent some static points/lines/rectangles over the map and no answers were here.

In general, it could be very impressing to give a SharpMap an interface which can be adequate used in real dynamic environments by the controlling of robots, vehicles and other moveable objects.
The next, but in my opinion, a separate step is 3D.

For 3D we need as example some EWKB/EWKT-parser for PostGIS (geospatial enabled PostGre). For my, at the moment very simple application I create the simple EWKT-parser with few lines of code.
The next thing is to create real 3D objects at all. At the moment I worked on creating an OpenGL .NET C# version of “gle extrusion library”. Some efforts are already achieved. The next step is going from OpenGL to WPF. I would like to join this library with SharpMap to render some 3D scenes in conjunction with a GIS map.

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:55 AM
@blackrussian -

I haven't been able to take a look at it yet, but I plan to, since we are talking about moving in the WPF direction.

I work with a First Lego League robotics team, and have been trying to get MSRS interest instigated in the team - the possibilites of learning by simulation are incredible. There is a learning curve, though, and it's not supported in the tournaments, so there is no huge incentive to use it - unfortunately!

I think you have a good insight, however - mapping, simulation, and automation all rely on spatial reasoning, and having .Net libraries available to build applications is an exciting potential.