Developer meeting time

Topics: General Topics, SharpMap Project
Feb 7, 2008 at 11:24 AM
I am wondering if there is interest changing the meeting time for the developer IRC chat ? For me personally, the meeting takes place in the middle of my work day and all but excludes my ability to participate. Is there interest in having a meeting at 21:00 EST.
Developer
Feb 9, 2008 at 10:52 AM
That would be in the middle of the night for Europeans, although we could use any help to get a more active developers community. Maybe we should use email or just post in this forum.

Paul

mikerg87 wrote:
I am wondering if there is interest changing the meeting time for the developer IRC chat ? For me personally, the meeting takes place in the middle of my work day and all but excludes my ability to participate. Is there interest in having a meeting at 21:00 EST.

Developer
Feb 9, 2008 at 6:34 PM
How about having the chat during the weekend, that way those of us who are restricted to internet access only are the weekends can participate. But providing their is a quick forum where design questions can be answered such as a chat, ti dosn't matter, its just can cannot please all of the people of the time.
Feb 10, 2008 at 2:47 AM
my thoughts when posting the was to see if there was interest to have two meetings - one for europe and one for developers working in north and south america. However, this might not be desireable or possible. if there is a true need to stick to the current time I will just have to tell my clients that its in their best interest that I am free from 2-4 EDT on Wednesdays.

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2008 at 8:16 PM
These discussions are always hard, since someone is always left out.

Although it is hard for me, I favor just keeping the time, since over time, sticking to the schedule will allow us to change our other committments to accomodate it.

OTOH, if we exclude a great number of people who want to participate, we should probably reconsider...

Another idea is to use a different technology which is more firewall friendly, like some kind of web chat.
Feb 12, 2008 at 9:20 PM
Or at least post the chat log and the post "offline" comments here to ask questions of what happened in real-time.

My main driver is to find out the status of the silverlight support in 2.0. Is there a plan/design, has anyone written code/committed code for it and if there is an opportunity for me to contribute somehow - code/test/document.

I have adjusted my schedule to fit the current time. will actually help me to break the week into two halves.

codekaizen wrote:
These discussions are always hard, since someone is always left out.

Although it is hard for me, I favor just keeping the time, since over time, sticking to the schedule will allow us to change our other committments to accomodate it.

OTOH, if we exclude a great number of people who want to participate, we should probably reconsider...

Another idea is to use a different technology which is more firewall friendly, like some kind of web chat.

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2008 at 10:21 PM
Silverlight is possible, but no current plans exist. The closest thing right now is the WPF work that blackrussian did and posted here.

Conceivably, a Silverlight implementation would be similar.