CodePlex vs GoogleCode

Topics: General Topics, SharpMap Project
Mar 4, 2008 at 5:27 PM
Hi guys!

A question to the maintainers: Which is the more accurate repo? The one here on CodePlex or the one on GoogleCode?
Both are updated regulary but CodePlex's system is a bit complicated so it's hard to do a diff and find out what has changed.

Another question in that direction: Why do you keep CodePlex and don't move the project to Google Code? Subversion on Google's side is much easier to use than that team foundation stuff (and it's free).

Kind regards,
Mar 4, 2008 at 6:22 PM
Hi Christoph -

The SharpMap project is hosted at CodePlex. For the SharpMap code repository, we have the following:

• For v0.9 and v1.0 code, CodePlex is the place.
  • For v2.0 code, it's Google Code.

The reason we are using Google Code for v2.0 is for Subversion. The CodePlex team listened to it's users and has been developing an SVN Bridge to allow us to use both SVN and TFS. SharpMap v2.0 started before the SvnBridge was released.

I like SVN a lot. For somethings, however, I like TFS. After using both of these for a number of years, I rely on the strengths of one or the other depending on the task. With CodePlex, I can rather fluidly switch between them. Since CodePlex is also free (You haven't paid anything to anyone, have you? If so, you should get your money back.), and since there are advantages in both the CodePlex site itself and certainly in staying put in one place on the web, it would be wise to have it remain here for the foreseeable future.

Once the CodePlex team releases SvnBridge as a stable server-side solution, the double-hosting will go away, and CodePlex will be the only home of SharpMap.
Mar 4, 2008 at 6:53 PM

I downloaded the sourcecode from Google Code. But I seem to be missing references and none of the solutions build on my Visual Studio 2005.

Is there any documentation available on dependencies and build instructions?
Mar 4, 2008 at 7:02 PM
Check out the SharpMap v2 HOWTO.
Mar 4, 2008 at 8:26 PM
Thanks, I did.

I started from scratch, did as you described (which is probably what I already did, but in a slightly different sequence) and tried to get it running with VS2005.

I added comment to the HOWTO, if you can find the time and it is not to much trouble, could you take a look at it?

Kind regards,
Mar 4, 2008 at 8:30 PM
I'll try to take a look this afternoon or tomorrow on VS2005. I'm very close to getting v2.0 running sensibly again, and don't want to lose too much momentum.
Mar 5, 2008 at 6:26 AM
Back to the originial topic:

Thanks for the clarification. So, the SvnBridge will be installed on the server and I won't need to download any additional client software?
Another question: You're still doing development on the v1.0 branch, so there will be a version 1.0?

Kind regards,
Mar 5, 2008 at 6:43 AM

The short-to-medium term plan is to have SvnBridge running on CodePlex servers, as far as I understand. Things seem to be really picking up over there after a 3-4 month dormancy, so it could be sooner rather than later. Big if, though. I use a modified SvnBridge locally (although it seems they have accepted a patch of mine, so I might not need to...), and it performs well enough.

There are currently plans for a v1.0. This will most likely be limited to bug fixes and small feature adds, since v0.9 is pretty much the defacto v1.0. All major new development is going into v2.0 at this point, and those who have contributed patches are, by and large, standing by to port the patches to v2.0 once it gets to a more stable Beta 2.