Wind barbs

Topics: SharpMap Project
Feb 11, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Hi everyone.

I'm programming a GIS in c# and I would like to diplay wind barbs on the map (like GRIS.US and Zygrib)

I have GRIB and raster datas with wind speed and direction values.

Is there a library that would do this?

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:12 AM

hello shouba,

out of the box this is not possible with sharpmap.

You would have to write yourself a provider that handles your grib/raster data and some custom theme that renders the appropriate wind barb at the gridpoint.

Hth FObermaier

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:00 PM
Edited Feb 16, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Hi! I know that this is possible.

Please contact frank_am. He is using sharpmap and has a lot of providers to anything from XYZ textFiles, ASCII Grid files.

And is using it in is software.

Please follow this:

5* Software!!!

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:24 PM
Edited Feb 16, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Dear Shouba, dear all,

in fact I built a lot of providers for scientific visualization with SharpMap, including one for WindBarbs. Examples of flow visualization can be found here:

The layers and providers I use are based on OpenGL and HDF. I have a special tools to convert GFS Grib files into HDF.

Within Sharpmap I mix the normal SharpMap MapBox with an OpenGL extension for more "heavy" visualization. I render the layer to the OpenGL Backbuffer and, using transparency, I get them back and render them as bitmap with GDI+.

I could post some code it here, but I don't know if there is a large interest for it... There should be a project like SharpMap.Scientific...

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:41 AM
Edited Feb 17, 2011 at 7:45 AM

That sounds like a great idea to me. I'm particulary interested in the OpenGL visualization technique (especially for a sharpmap v2 renderer).

Frank, perhaps you find some related code in the branches\v0.9.5-Deltashell branch, that could be merged.

Thanks for offering your assistance