OGR Provider, Correlating s57 records and their attributes

Topics: General Topics
Mar 28, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Apologies if this has been answered before or if it is documented, but for the life of me I couldn;t find any information in the forums, nor can I work out how to find the attributes (meta data) associated with S57 records.

I can open and successfully parse a S57 data set such as a NOAA ENC Nautical Chart.

The Ogr provider reveals 5 layers; DSID, Area, Line, Point & Metadata.

The DSID layer contains values for the data set such as the DSID_DSNM (the data set name), DSID_EDTN (edition) etc.

Similarly the Area, Line & Point layers contain the geometery values and S57 information such as RCID (record ID), OBJL (object class) and I can render these layers onto the map.

However I don't know where to find the metadata that describes the Area, Line & Point records. 

For example a point record may have an OBJL value of 5 which indicates that the point is a Cardinal Mark. Somewhere in the S57 data set will be correlating attributes such as BCNSHP (2) whose value describes the shape of the beacon or CATCAM (13) which describes the category of the cardinal mark (north, south, east west).

Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:41 AM

S57 Attribute definition is stored in FWTOOLS data folder (s57*.csv). If you want the ogr provider to make use of it, you need to (e.g.) add

<add key="FWToolsGdalData" value="C:\Programme\FWTools2.4.7\data"/>

to your app.config file.

Have a look at this to see how the ogr/gdal providers are setup properly.

Hth FObermaier

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Thanks very much.

It may be helpful to other users if there was a slightly more detailed description of the functionality that each app.config entry provides, rather than "if you want to take the most out of GDAL/OGR you can supply the following settings as well"