General infos

Topics: General Topics, SharpMap v0.9 / v1.x, SharpMap v2.0
May 20, 2008 at 1:10 AM
Hi everyone !!
Well this is a quite easy question... is there any documentations still available about sharpmap....
I am asking because the html doc file which can be downloaded from release 0.9 page seems to be "off the map" !!
Anyway, it's just to start because in fact I would like to know if  you guys have any idea around a possible date that V2 beta 2 will come out... or is it too soon to tell ?
That's because I am working on a project in which I could use so many features of V2 instead of implementing them in 0.9...

By the way this project is really amazing, you are doing such a great job !!
Thanks !
Coordinator
May 21, 2008 at 8:40 AM
@muskor -

How much of a rush are you in with your project?
May 21, 2008 at 1:46 PM
I am working for a city and I was suppose to do my first release to production with MapObject2.4 in a couple of weeks. It's a little app for our fire department. Then I called ESRI to buy a distribution package of MO which is $4K but they told me that MO is, from now on, discontinued !!!!!!! Why would I pay for something which will no longer get any updates/supports and it appears that my boss his on the same side so he told me find another library to "remodel" the soft !!?? That's when I found you... so now I hope to get your beta 2 any soon because it seems to be the only library with so much features I could really use !!!

... This is my rush ... !!
Thank you for asking !!
Coordinator
May 21, 2008 at 4:39 PM
Edited May 21, 2008 at 4:39 PM
@muskulor -

We feel your pain. The situation with MO is sad - it was a decent library, and ArcObjects isn't much of a replacement. Plus, ArcObjects is pure legacy COM... this is an upgrade?

The aim for v2.0 is to be mostly an MO replacement. However, it is a fairly hard chore. I can't really promise anything in terms of it working well, or even working at all within a specific timeframe. The complexities and tight interactions within the library, as well as it having many layers which have subtle interactions, has been thrashing any estimates I've made in the past.

We've been in a hard place for the past year or so - v0.9 is fairly solid, but lacks features, and v2.0 has the features but isn't solid. People have mostly opted for v0.9 since at least they could get something to work. v2.0 Beta 1 shows some promise, but is limited to desktop only. v2.0 Beta 2 should expand this quite a bit...

I'm working on the last three failing unit tests of the v2.0 branch before it should start rendering interactive maps again. I hope to have a pre-Beta 2 release drop and some examples for how to use it within a week or two. Of course, I've said that before...
Coordinator
May 21, 2008 at 7:30 PM

We feel your pain. The situation with MO is sad - it was a decent library, and ArcObjects isn't much of a replacement. Plus, ArcObjects is pure legacy COM... this is an upgrade?

I thought I would compile a list of things i like about ArcObjects, here goes:
Coordinator
May 21, 2008 at 8:49 PM
@JohnDiss: 

You forgot one - ArcObjects seems to have been carefully designed to allow the growth and development of free, alternative libraries which accomplish 95% of what anyone would want to do with it anyway. Definite plus.