TFS / SVN

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM

The DotSpatial team is moving to TFS and wanted to coordinate with you all.

I wondered how many of the developers are using TFS here vs. SVN. Our developers are very excited about using TFS, and we have requested that they not use SVN, because the bridge doesn't work flawlessly. Did you need to create tutorials to get everyone started with TFS?

Developer
Feb 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Edited Feb 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Hi mudnug,

I use svn at work and mercurial for personal projects. I did work with an early version of TFS for a while and it found it easy to work with - very similar too other version control systems. I did not need a tutorial. SvnBridge has indeed some flaws which makes it not a good option. 

My personal choice would be Mercurial. Especially for bigger teams it should be more suitable, and have cause less merge problems.

BTW: for Mercurial you really do need a tutorial: http://hginit.com/

Paul

Coordinator
Feb 4, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Hi mudnug,

I use svn both at work and for personal projects. I fulfills all my needs.

I have just started to use mercurial lately but have not yet gotten up the speed using that tools so i still prefer svn.

Coordinator
Feb 7, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Hi mudnug,

I agree with Peter regarding subversion. A drawback for plain TeamFoundationServer -imho- is, that you have to be a developer to get the source via TFS source code client. Now I understand why people keep asking to be a developer while all they want to do is checkout the source.

In that sense using mercurial makes more sense to me.

FObermaier

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Thanks for all of your replies! We've been creating a documentation page that explains how to get the source as a zip and contribute to the project. TFS does require a login, so we contacted codeplex and they enabled anonymous access to the svn side. We found that Mercurial was a bit of a barrier to entry for most new developers (for example, the server would time out if you tried to get the entire repository at once), so we've described how to use the forum or issue tracker to submit your first few patches. We expect we will train all of the serious contributors on TFS.

I think most of the contributors could be described as either fully invested in the project, interested in submitting a small number of patches, or just curious about the source. We're providing the source in a way that is version system agnostic -- as a zip file -- and expect this to be the way most people get their copy. We've also looked at using a symbol server to broadcast the source to people that are debugging into our nuget packages (though, this requires some configuration on their part). For those that want to pull the source frequently, but won't be contributing, SVN can be used. But, we expect that anyone who is going to modify more than one file at a time is moving from "infrequent contributor" to "invested community member." We will be willing to add them as a developer and show them how to use TFS.