Oct 23, 2008 at 10:15 PM

What is the status of the SharpMap project today - October 23 2008??

Oct 23, 2008 at 11:04 PM
Hi Bob, v2 is improving every day, check it out at there are still a few gaps but progress is being made pretty quickly.. If you have any specific functionality questions please feel free to ask.. cheers jd
Oct 24, 2008 at 3:43 PM

I have downloaded v0.9 and a copy of C#. I have managed to create a simple SharpMap that views a shapefile.

Unlike most users who are working in Geographic Information Systems my interest is using PostgreSQL/Postgis as a Geometric Information System for, in particular, engineering design.(For those who might be interested -

I want to make a viewer that connects directly to Postgis WKB data.

I'm hoping that the community will be interested enough in this use of SharpMap to help me along.

My first problem came when attempting to add the GeometryFromWKB file to my project. I get the error message ---> " 'SharpMap.Converters.WellKnownBinary.WKBGeometryType' is inaccessible due to its protection level".

I am an absolute beginner with C# but it seems to me that I haven't done something necessary to include this file as part of the project.

Am I missing the Geometry or some other file?

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:07 PM
Hi Bob,

You might consider getting an SVN client like the excellent (sponsors of SharpMap!) or and pointing it to to get the reasonably stable v2.0. It's got considerable improvment in WKB parsing, spatial binary predicates and operations and vector rendering. The demos are getting better, as well.

Otherwise, for v0.9, you can use the static GeometryFromWKB.Parse(Byte[]) method (no need to create an instance using "new") to return a Geometry.
Oct 26, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Thanks codekaizen

I've downloaded V2. It is quite different. You guys have put a lot of work into this.

Can you point me to some documentation that can get me started?

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:50 AM
Bob -

The only docs that exist at this point are the unit tests and the demos. You can find both of these in the source tree...