Google/Bing Map License info on Sharp Map

Topics: SharpMap Project, SharpMap v0.9 / v1.x, SharpMap v2.0, WinForms Controls
Nov 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Edited Nov 19, 2013 at 9:47 AM

We had created an report viewer windows application using SharpMap , where it uses Google and Bing Maps as a background. We need to know whether we can release this for commercial use and what are re the licensing terms for Google/Bing maps if to be used in sharp Map. On the source code it doesn't uses license key, and also we have Bing map license with us how to use this key.

Please revert back to us ASAP if anybody could help us.

Arun Mohan
Nov 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM
You can use SharpMap in a commercial application given that you comply to the LGPL, see the license tab.
If you want to use Bing Maps and have a key for that you should be all set. If you have any questions you should ask Bing maps.
If you want to use Google Maps tiles directly you need to make some arrangement with Google. That is probably not worth the trouble, as BruTile's Google Tile provider won't anymore in a few weeks.
Nov 20, 2013 at 3:26 AM
Hi FObermaier,

Thanks for the info.

Arun Mohan
Nov 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Why will BruTiles Google provider stop working? Are there plans to get it working again?
Nov 20, 2013 at 9:34 AM
The current implementation depends on google maps api v2 which google will stop some time in november.

I don't know how long they will continue to serve the tiles. Anyway, the google maps api license terms prohibits the way we used the tiles.

There is a provider for the V3 API

It does not have the licensing issues the v2 provider did have. Not quite sure if you actually need a license from google if you use it in a commercial application.
Nov 20, 2013 at 11:15 AM
from looking at the licensing I'm pretty sure that you have to license it to use it in a commercial app. We have tried to contact them to try and find out about the licensing costs, but they (google) seldom return our calls.

I guess they have a license in place, but don't really enforce it, nor allow you to buy your way out of it! It kind leaves it impossible to use in a commercial app.
Nov 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Robert_Smart wrote:
from looking at the licensing I'm pretty sure that you have to license it to use it in a commercial app.
From the GMaps.NET discussion linked from FObermaier
"Can I use Google Maps in my non-Web application?
Yes, the Google Maps APIs can now be used in Desktop applications, provided that they adhere to the other restrictions of the Terms of Service. Note that in order for a desktop application to be deemed "publicly accessible", there must be a publicly accessible webpage from which it can be downloaded. See Section 7.1c of the Terms of Service for more information." Section 7.1c: "Maps API Implementation" means a software application or website that uses the Maps APIs to obtain and display Content in conjunction with Your Content, according to these Terms."

So maybe a app publicly downloadable and with a public maps section and with other sections disabled without a commercial "license token" should be ok.
Actutlly, there are a lot of legalese sections to read...
Nov 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Unfortunatly there are relatively few commercial programs that can be fitted to this model, so in most commercial cases a google license will be required. Which is expensive and elusive to say the least!
Nov 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM
You can always use OpenStreetMap via a company like MapBox to get webtiles.
Jan 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Will version 1.1 of Sharpmap have the GoogleMaps V3 provider built in? or will still need to be compiled separately?
Jan 27, 2014 at 6:24 PM
GoogleMaps V3 will not be release with SharpMap, but I'll check if I can release it as a separate NuGet-package..

Best Regards,
Jan 27, 2014 at 9:26 PM
That would be great.