What is deferent between sharp map web map engine and ArcGIS APIs?

Topics: General Topics, Web Controls
Jan 26, 2015 at 5:37 AM
Hi,
Sorry for my noob question,I am looking for some information about working with spatial data on the web,I am already worked with dotspatial for windows forms and I want to start working on the web,Now I want some suggestions..I know about wms and other services so I want to ask you, Which library do you suggest me to start with.I want a powerful library which I can perform spatial processes like intersect,buffer and etc.I have searched and found these libraries that support web mapping
Sharp map
ArcGis Api(for JavaScript and silverlight)
Which one has better performance?

I have worked with geoserver and openlayer before and I am confused which of these libraries is better to work for a gis web application..
I thinks it is better to start with service based ones..Can you please share your experiences in working with these libraries?
Developer
Jan 26, 2015 at 11:28 AM
ArcGIS API for JS and Silverlight, as far as I know, are client libraries that you can use mainly to show data, much like openlayers.
Processing operations like buffer and so on, are performed serverside, usng ArcGIS server.
So mainly yo're talking about:
ArcGIS: powerful and stable, commercial license and expensive
Geoserver: powerful and stable, opensource
SharpMap: less powerful and less stable, opensource
Jan 27, 2015 at 6:14 AM
D_Guidi wrote:
ArcGIS API for JS and Silverlight, as far as I know, are client libraries that you can use mainly to show data, much like openlayers.
Processing operations like buffer and so on, are performed serverside, usng ArcGIS server.
So mainly yo're talking about:
ArcGIS: powerful and stable, commercial license and expensive
Geoserver: powerful and stable, opensource
SharpMap: less powerful and less stable, opensource
Dear D_Guidi,
Thank you for your help,
So If I looked at arcgis api and found that they can work with wms and etc,So do you suggest me to use ARCGIS API and Geoserver or just forget about ARCGIS Api and start working with sharp map and Geoserver or open layer
because I should perform geoprecessing on server side and I think it is better to do it with Geoserver(I hope it support such processings)
Developer
Jan 27, 2015 at 7:34 AM
you suggest me to use ARCGIS API and Geoserver or just forget about ARCGIS Api?
it's all about the money (cit.)
serverside, you can use alternatively
Marked as answer by am2 on 1/27/2015 at 8:50 PM
Jan 28, 2015 at 4:51 AM
D_Guidi wrote:
you suggest me to use ARCGIS API and Geoserver or just forget about ARCGIS Api?
it's all about the money (cit.)
serverside, you can use alternatively
Thank you for your help