A little newbie looking for help...

Topics: Data Access, SharpMap Project, SharpMap v0.9 / v1.x, WinForms Controls
Sep 5, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Hi all! I'm new to GIS programming and I'm looking for someone that can explain me some simple things.

My purpose is to realize a simple .NET DirectX-based desktop form showing the world map exactly like in this screenshot:

http://i3.codeplex.com/Project/Download/FileDownload.aspx?ProjectName=SharpMap&DownloadId=823

using Blue Marble and country boundaries data, of course... but also showing most popolous cities and administrative regions for each country.

My first question is: is there any open source GIS software that already does the same thing?

If not, where can I find all the necessary map data? All the shapefiles that I use must have the same scale/size?

Is there any visual software out there to edit/create simple shapefiles?

Is there a way, using SharpMap, to make a color overlay on the country pointed by the mouse?

Thank you in advance for help! :-)

Coordinator
Sep 8, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Hi Divino

1) I don't know of any direct x /.net map viewers, we intend to add direct x to sharpmap 2 but it is not available.

2) some countries' national mapping agencies give away free data, a lot don't; to a large degree it will depend on how accurate the data needs to be.
Shapefiles are a vector format so there is no scale or size they contain descriptions of the lines in real world coordinates - more important here is the projection of the data - but you can usually reproject to a common projection. BlueMarble on the other hand is a raster/image dataset again you should be able to reproject to a common projection.

3) Have a look at the osgeo website http://www.osgeo.org/ they have an installer which will supply many useful tools and utilities - There are several GUI editors included.

4) Yes - you could use a CustomTheme which tests the bounding box of the geometry with the relative coordinates of the mouse pointer (before doing a more thorough test on the actual geometry) you can then style accordingly. Or you could use a new layer with geometries supplied by a query on a different layer.

hth jd