Does SharpMap has client-side geometry editing feature implemented?

Topics: SharpMap Project, SharpMap v0.9 / v1.x, SharpMap v2.0, Web Controls
Sep 8, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Hi, there,

I wanted to know if you have a feature where we could edit geometries on the client side, and then the changes could be sent to the server? Have you guys by any chance implemented that? I am just looking around for a framework that has. :)

Hugo

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:32 PM

AFAIK SharpMap does not provide this feature, moreover, according to me, most of the GIS applications demand for rich feature set in spatial queries and visualization etc rather than providing editable geometries.

Having said that, the framework does provide you with certain functions which will help a great deal if you want to build this functionality. For example, converting on-screen co-ordinates to GPS co-ordinates, getting the geometries at a point etc are as simple a method call in the Map class.

Coordinator
Sep 8, 2009 at 6:45 PM

You should have a look at using OpenLayers as the browser client and SharpMap as the server - you will still need to write a lot of the wiring yourself but it is relatively straight forward (as long as you are proficient in a bit of javascript). It is an excellent client framework and a very active oss project http://www.openlayers.org

hth jd