Convert Range, Azimuth and Elevation to Latitude-Longitude

Topics: Algorithms, General Topics, SharpMap v0.9 / v1.x, WinForms Controls
Sep 21, 2009 at 3:41 PM

I am a GIS-newbie that need some help...

I have some recorded radar data; range, azimuth and elevation relative to the radar station. The latitude and longitude for the radar station is known. How can I use SharpMap (V0.9) to calculate longitude and latitude for the radar data?

Thanks in advance / Mattias

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Hi Mattias, are you trying to do this in a planar or geographic coordinate system? Can you give some example data and expected result. Cheers jd

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Hi again,

each radar observation has:

Range = The distance in Nautical miles to the object

Azimuth = The angle, 0-360, (from north and clockwise) to the object as seen from straight above.

Elevation = The angle, 0-90, to the object from the ground plane.

Using the above values I can easily calculate X, Y and Z in Nautical miles using the radar station as origo. The question is how do I go from these X, Y, Z values to longitude and latiude?

Regards / Mattias

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:22 PM

You would use a CoordinateTransformation between the local coordinate system that the position of the radar station is measured in and WGS84.

This functionality is in the projnet dll (in the external references folder) . The project home is but beware that the version in the sharpmap tree is old and incompatible with the lastest proj net. may be useful

hth jd

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:54 PM

I need to display target on radar display while i can get the input values of azimuth and range. Is it possible to show it on XY- coordinate system. If it is possible give the code  in c# language.